Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: GDT 9/14/20 - Touki returns

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Which (to also pile on to earlier rants from me as well) appears to be an organizational problem - particularly at the upper levels.

There isn't any legitimate question about the TALENT stockpiled during the rebuild, it's about being able to make adjustments and taking steps forward.
    Seems to me there was an organizational philosophy, particularly during the Coppalella era, to acquire "electric arms" with the belief that teaching auxiliary pitches and control was possible while teaching 97 is not.

I think some things are teachable - a better grip on your slider, maybe - but I have never believed that every pitcher is capable of command/control, and I think believing that is a bit of a fool's errand.

Toussaint and Newcomb are unlikely to ever know where the ball is going. 1:50 shot that either one of them has the enormous improvement in command that would be required to approach their "high ceiling" status. I'll be wrong very occasionally, but mostly I'll be right.

Touki is wilder than a truckload of starving kangaroos.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    First, we need to realize a couple things about the results Touki has been getting...

A 33.3% HR/FB rate as absurdly high, and is impossible to remain that bad. Literally a third of the balls in the air vs Touki have left the park, and that's insane.

A 50.2% LOB rate is almost equally as unsustainable. A rate around 70% is normal, and isn't something pitchers tend to be able to control.

Having said that, it's not like Touki is pitching well by any means. A BB/9 of 6 isn't going to work, period.

Why can't Braves pitches throw strikes? No idea, but it does seem to be a consistent theme with most of the young arms with impact potential lately. Is it a development problem? Are we just crying because they are Braves pitchers, and all teams have similar issues? Again, no idea, but when I see a guy like Touki and Wright struggling to control 5 pitches, I can only wonder, "why in the world is he trying to execute 5 pitches rather than his 3 best pitches?". Can't folks see Anderson succeed by executing 3 good pitches, and realize "hey, I don't need a SL and a CU to succeed if I execute the SI, CU and Split"?

Further, why can't the Braves quickly identify which of those 3 pitches are the best? Touki's FA with its 7" of rise is clearly too flat to be useful, so why is he using it 7x as often as the SI with plus or better sink and arm side run? He threw the SI much more often in 2018, so did someone suggest he switch to the inferior fastball variant in a misguided attempt to improve his control?

Wright is a talented arm who is the same guy he was in college, and Touki even more talented (nearly Fried-level talented). There is no reason a professional coaching staff shouldn't be able to turn that talent into production. I suspect someone will, and I hope it's the Braves.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-15-2020 at 01:20 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-16-2020), thethe (09-15-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    See I wanted to say all that but that is too many words to put together without screwing up. So I just whine and point my finger at Kranny. Can I get credit for saying all that first still? No. Ok I will see myself out.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I cringe at the thought of the Indians or Rays getting their hands on Wright or Touki.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Garmel (09-15-2020), JohnAdcox (09-15-2020), jpx7 (09-16-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I cringe at the thought of the Indians or Rays getting their hands on Wright or Touki.
    Houston too.
    Ivermectin Man

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (09-15-2020), JohnAdcox (09-15-2020), jpx7 (09-16-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Seems to me there was an organizational philosophy, particularly during the Coppalella era, to acquire "electric arms" with the belief that teaching auxiliary pitches and control was possible while teaching 97 is not.

I think some things are teachable - a better grip on your slider, maybe - but I have never believed that every pitcher is capable of command/control, and I think believing that is a bit of a fool's errand.

Toussaint and Newcomb are unlikely to ever know where the ball is going. 1:50 shot that either one of them has the enormous improvement in command that would be required to approach their "high ceiling" status. I'll be wrong very occasionally, but mostly I'll be right.

Touki is wilder than a truckload of starving kangaroos.
    In the rebuild they took flyers on high upside arms, but they've never really as an organization been super focused on raw stuff. They tend to pass on those guys in favor of more well rounded prospects.

Touki is almost his own animal since the Braves just ate salary to acquire him. I think there is plenty of time for him to figure out what works, but I also think it's looking like he might settle in as a high leverage reliever.

In general though, the Braves have rarely prioritized raw stuff. They tend to look for all around ability. The former draft strategy was to take guys like Soroka, Allard, Anderson over raw stuff. They would take their shots at stuff in the later rounds on more obscure guys.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    First, we need to realize a couple things about the results Touki has been getting...

A 33.3% HR/FB rate as absurdly high, and is impossible to remain that bad. Literally a third of the balls in the air vs Touki have left the park, and that's insane.

A 50.2% LOB rate is almost equally as unsustainable. A rate around 70% is normal, and isn't something pitchers tend to be able to control.

Having said that, it's not like Touki is pitching well by any means. A BB/9 of 6 isn't going to work, period.

Why can't Braves pitches throw strikes? No idea, but it does seem to be a consistent theme with most of the young arms with impact potential lately. Is it a development problem? Are we just crying because they are Braves pitchers, and all teams have similar issues? Again, no idea, but when I see a guy like Touki and Wright struggling to control 5 pitches, I can only wonder, "why in the world is he trying to execute 5 pitches rather than his 3 best pitches?". Can't folks see Anderson succeed by executing 3 good pitches, and realize "hey, I don't need a SL and a CU to succeed if I execute the SI, CU and Split"?

Further, why can't the Braves quickly identify which of those 3 pitches are the best? Touki's FA with its 7" of rise is clearly too flat to be useful, so why is he using it 7x as often as the SI with plus or better sink and arm side run? He threw the SI much more often in 2018, so did someone suggest he switch to the inferior fastball variant in a misguided attempt to improve his control?

Wright is a talented arm who is the same guy he was in college, and Touki even more talented (nearly Fried-level talented). There is no reason a professional coaching staff shouldn't be able to turn that talent into production. I suspect someone will, and I hope it's the Braves.

I feel like the Braves are probably pretty good at spotting and developing players into prospects.

It feels like they maybe are kind of average at maxing out their MLB ability.

But on the other hand, Soroka, Fried, Anderson, Folty is a pretty decent hit rate all things considered.

Touki might well be a leverage reliever.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    In the rebuild they took flyers on high upside arms, but they've never really as an organization been super focused on raw stuff. They tend to pass on those guys in favor of more well rounded prospects.

Touki is almost his own animal since the Braves just ate salary to acquire him. I think there is plenty of time for him to figure out what works, but I also think it's looking like he might settle in as a high leverage reliever.

In general though, the Braves have rarely prioritized raw stuff. They tend to look for all around ability. The former draft strategy was to take guys like Soroka, Allard, Anderson over raw stuff. They would take their shots at stuff in the later rounds on more obscure guys.

I would like to see them go after more stuff, but can’t complain about Soroka and Anderson. Allard was the highest prep arm in that draft if i remember right...he just never regained his velo after surgery. So that was just a high risk, high reward pick that didn’t work out. I would have rather them picked someone else in the first round, but there was just a good a chance for a young guy to come back throwing 95 and with his pitch selection and control...he would have been a beast.

Since the rebuild, we have had plenty of pitching busts from trades...not too many drafted high. In fact even Allard and Wentz brought us a nice return. Soroka and Anderson appear to be hits. Muller still has a chance. Wilson has done fine from where he was picked....heck even Minter.

That really only leaves Wright as a bust or boom guy that was a high pick and he had dropped and was considered a steal at where we drafted him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I would like to see them go after more stuff, but can’t complain about Soroka and Anderson. Allard was the highest prep arm in that draft if i remember right...he just never regained his velo after surgery. So that was just a high risk, high reward pick that didn’t work out. I would have rather them picked someone else in the first round, but there was just a good a chance for a young guy to come back throwing 95 and with his pitch selection and control...he would have been a beast.

Since the rebuild, we have had plenty of pitching busts from trades...not too many drafted high. In fact even Allard and Wentz brought us a nice return. Soroka and Anderson appear to be hits. Muller still has a chance. Wilson has done fine from where he was picked....heck even Minter.

That really only leaves Wright as a bust or boom guy that was a high pick and he had dropped and was considered a steal at where we drafted him.

Allard had the one spring or summer where he was popping mid 90s and the Braves tend to be believers in that kind of thing. They were kind of enjoyed taking injury risk it seems like.

I guess the stress fracture in allard's case should have been a red flag.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post

I think even Wright is an example of a guy with multiple good tools rather than one or two overpowering ones. I was a little uneasy about him just because he'd not been dominant at Vandy, but as a value play it seemed pretty sound.

He's also the first draft pick of the new regime really, so I don't guess we quite know what they think about pitching. I'd say Shuler is pretty on past brand though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Nice Acuna

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Swing the bat man

Sabermetric Slut