Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: 4/13/15 GDT Callaspo at 2nd, batting 2nd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Base stealers? Yes.

Power threat? For a year or two with Clark. None other than that.

On base at awesome clip? Sort of.

Not posting this to disagree with your main point. Really just commenting on how much I hated their plastic grass, fake ass brand of baseball. Living where I do I would probably be a Cardinals fan today if they hadn't played that boring ass style back then.
    I hated those Cardinal teams because 1) I thought Whitey was the most overrated manager this side of Gene Mauch 2) They beat the Braves in the 82 playoffs when Niekro had them where he wanted them. Then, the rain came and washed out not only that game but Knucksie for the series. Back then it was best of 3.

I see similarities in roster construction and line up possibilities between that team and this Braves team. Just find it interesting

No more or less

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Callaspo over Peterson makes all of the sense in the world......
    It does. One has helped the team and the other hasn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Ruiz is the heir apparent at this time and he has gotten off to a nice start so far this year.

Listen, if you could flip Peraza for Judge then that would solve the teams biggest problem moving forward.
    Am I missing something? Ruiz is hitting .222/.300/.333 at AA right now. He was a guy I wanted the Braves to draft so I am a big fan of his but thats hardly a nice start. Yeah small sample size but its not making me confident enough to trade away other options. If the braves trade Peraza it will be because they dont think he will hit in the majors and not because we dont have a position for him. I like having a lot of speed on the team. Faster players generally play better defense, are good bunters, can take extra bases running the bases, score easier on sac flys, are harder to double up, and can force defensive errors because they have to hurry. We really dont need to be trading any offensive prospects. Best case scenario and they all work out Ruiz or Peraza could play LF until Braxton is ready.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-14-2015), jpx7 (04-14-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I thought family hate Wren now?
    Oops!!! Was in a hurry and stepping out of the office when I typed that.

Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Jace ain't starting again tonight...

WHAT HAPPENED TO SPRING TRAINING STATS MEAN EVERYTHING!
    Just a guess, but I bet they left those sheets at Disney and decided not to send anyone back to get them since they're off to a 6-1 start.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Callaspo over Peterson makes all of the sense in the world......
    Maybe it's me, but could it be time to wonder whether Matt Williams is better than Fredi? I mean, the Gnats have all the talent in the world, so it MUST be the Manager. Right???

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Maybe it's me, but could it be time to wonder whether Matt Williams is better than Fredi? I mean, the Gnats have all the talent in the world, so it MUST be the Manager. Right???
    The Nats won 96 games last year.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Only thing that Fredi has going over Matty baseball is that he has a bigger belly.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Neither does Jordan Walden, but we didn't give a rip when it was our guy jumping toward the plate.
    I didn't know he was doing it. I don't recall them showing the same angle.

Whether we cared really isn't the point, the point is whether it's legal. Umpires have seen it, so I guess so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Only thing that Fredi has going over Matty baseball is that he has a bigger belly.
    Williams is actually a pretty bad manager. He has odd lineups and make questionable decisions a ton.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Williams is actually a pretty bad manager. He has odd lineups and make questionable decisions a ton.
    Talent sometimes can overcome that. Hence the Nationals won 96 games last season. Fredi is awful and doesn't have the talent to cover up his miscues.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The Nats won 96 games last year.
    The Braves won 94 a couple years back. What the *ell does winning 96 games last year have to do with anything?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,829 Posts
    The Braves won 94 a couple years back. What the *ell does winning 96 games last year have to do with anything?
    Because last year is a more relevant sample than the first 8 games of this year?

Thought that was rather obvious

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    so what the heck is your point then? He's a bad manager bc they are 2-6 in the first 8 games of 2015 without 3 everyday starters, who are on the DL?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Just always think it's funny to watch to see who comes out to defend other Managers when they've got loads of talent and high expectations to see if they're the same ones who continuously crawl on Fredi's back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Because last year is a more relevant sample than the first 8 games of this year?

Thought that was rather obvious
    I think the point is, the Braves won 96 in 2013 with Fredi. Does that make Fredi a good manager?
    The Nats winning 96 games last year does not make Williams a good manager. We'd have plenty of criticism for him if he were ours.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Not to mention how weird he was with Harper last year.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Not to mention how weird he was with Harper last year.
    Was db. Forced himself into a corner by telling the guys the next guy to not run out a ball would be benched.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,316 Posts
    Was db. Forced himself into a corner by telling the guys the next guy to not run out a ball would be benched.
    Williams' tirade on "lack of hustle," directed at a player who is hustle incarnate, was a low point for the Nationals this season, but Harper's injury, which came as he tried to stretch a double into a triple by -- wait for it -- hustling, is a new nadir. It's bad enough that the inexperienced manager felt the need to heap dispraise on Harper in a public forum; it's worse that those empty criticisms might in any way have led to Harper taking more of a risk than usual and tearing that thumb ligament.

On top of that, Williams seems to have it in for Harper, treating him more harshly than he has treated other players who've committed similar or graver mistakes. On April 18, the Nationals played an ugly game, making three errors -- two by Ian Desmond -- and misplaying several others. Williams didn't bench anyone during the game for sloppiness or lack of focus, and more importantly, he didn't throw any of his players under the bus after the game, refusing to even tell the media what he'd said to them after the shoddy performance. “That's for me and my team, and nobody else's business,” he told reporters. So why did Williams feel so willing to degrade Harper to the media after Harper's perceived lack of hustle?

On April 20, a day after The Benching, Jayson Werth batted with two outs in the bottom of the first inning, checked his swing, and grounded out to first base … but clearly gave up on the play before first baseman Matt Adams threw the ball to pitcher Shelby Miller. Williams didn't bench Werth, didn't call him out during or after the game, didn't do anything. Why is Werth immune to criticism for failure to false-hustle but Harper gets publicly shamed for it?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,316 Posts
    So if he was going to bench everyone for lack of hustle, was it just the next guy then after that it would be fine again?

It's hard to argue that Williams didn't boggle that situation. I don't think that alone makes him a bad manager, especially since he was a rookie manager. But it's something to keep your eye on moving forward.