Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fredi Gonzalez quotes

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts

Fredi Gonzalez quotes

Anyone hear his conversation on 680 The Fan today? Interesting to say the least and the guy is really clueless, I'm paraphrasing but here are some answers to the questions:

On possibility of handling match ups and platoons at 5 different positions?

Fredi: As a manager that's exciting, it really is. You never know how we might look one day to the next. You're able to mix and match on any given day and give a different look. But it's not always strictly about numbers or certain match ups, you have to go with you're gut and put them out there and see what they got. Some won't understand at all, but I told John and John, it's like when I was 3rd base coach and whether or not to send a guy on a potential possible play. How do you know if you're gonna score that run or not not send him, you don't, so you send him and sometimes he scored and others he doesn't and you look like an idiot. But you don't know for sure how it's gonna work unless he goes. That's the situation were in. I remember when I 1st came here, and Bobby was the master in these situations. Chris Hammond was trying to make a comeback, and you're thinking this guy could be someone who might be valuable to get a Mo Vaughn or Jeremy Burnitz out, and there's Bobby bringing him in a tight spot to get Mike Piazza or Scott Rolen and I'm like what the hell, the Hammond goes on to have the best year of his career, maybe one of the best relief years ever, and that's because Bobby put him in the best position to succeed."

On what to do with BJ and what role he envisions him in?

Fredi: "First the guy is immensely talented, he's just struggled a little here and there and put to much pressure on himself. When you look at him, his build, his skillset you see someone who needs to be at the top of the lineup. That's where I'd like to
    see him stick."

On trying to construct the lineup with so many new faces.

Fredi: "That's hard and easier. We no longer have a bunch of guys that only want to hit here or there or do this or that. We have great flexibility. We can manufacture, we can bunt, we can pinch hit to get a more favorable matchup. It's harder because I'm not overly familiar with a lot if these guys and what they can do, but we will run them out there and see what they got."

On losing Heyward and Upton and having so much talent come back.

Fredi: "On one hand you're sad, on the other you're exciting, but when we sat down at the end if the season we knew it wasn't gonna work. For whatever reason it didn't work. But I think the thing that is exciting is the pitching, the young pitching with so much upside. That's what this organization was built upon and were getting back to that. You don't need to
    worry about scoring runs when you're throwing a quality pitcher out there everyday. You know if you somehow get 1 or 2 across the plate you're gonna win more often then not."

On the large number of Braves pitchers going under the knife for TJ surgery?

Fredi: "it's pure bad luck, nothing more, but we believe if something is not right, get it out of the way and come back stronger. It easier to come back when you're 21 or 23 then as if you're 29 or 33 or whatever. Shae just felt a twinge, and we said let's get it out of the way, rehab, and come back better than ever. We have great depth in the pen, I'm really exciting about Grilli and Johnson. Going into the offseason I told John I've always wanted a Kevin Gryboski heavy sinker ground ball guy and that's Johnson, were gonna love him, he looks phenominal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,345 Posts
    We're so screwed.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-20-2015), goldfly (02-20-2015), holden (02-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    We're so screwed.
    Hopefully this is the last year for Fredi managing here. If not then shoot me now and get it over with. :)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    terrible
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    456 Posts
    Awesome. Haven't even started spring training yet, and the people smarter than Fredi are already shouting from the rooftops.

I guess I don't see that's so wrong with what he said. It's a media interview, so he's gonna say whatever he should say in public. I'm sure a "BJ sucks but we're stuck with him, and your stuck with me too" would go over real well in helping BJ succeed.

We're not gonna contend this year anyway, so what's it matter?

Oh, and yeah, live that pipe dream. But Fredi probably won't get fired any sooner than 2017, or they would have done it already.
    Last edited by mossy; 02-20-2015 at 01:04 AM.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

CrimsonCowboy (02-20-2015), JohnAdcox (02-20-2015), Prikichi (02-20-2015), Runnin (02-21-2015), thethe (02-20-2015), TomahawkCult (02-20-2015), weso1 (02-20-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Since we're punting the next few seasons, I really don't care who's managing the team.

Fredi still sucks, though.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (02-20-2015), goldfly (02-20-2015), jpx7 (02-21-2015), Tapate50 (02-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    He fits the current team well. Hope he sticks around until after the 2016 season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    I'd like to see the real transcript and see how close you got
    Ivermectin Man

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (02-22-2015), clvclv (02-20-2015), Dalyn (02-20-2015), Hawk (02-20-2015), jpx7 (02-21-2015), Krovahn (02-20-2015), thethe (02-20-2015)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Awesome. Haven't even started spring training yet, and the people smarter than Fredi are already shouting from the rooftops.

I guess I don't see that's so wrong with what he said. It's a media interview, so he's gonna say whatever he should say in public. I'm sure a "BJ sucks but we're stuck with him, and your stuck with me too" would go over real well in helping BJ succeed.

We're not gonna contend this year anyway, so what's it matter?

Oh, and yeah, live that pipe dream. But Fredi probably won't get fired any sooner than 2017, or they would have done it already.
    Fredi will not be fired. Betcha anything he gets "reassigned." If Walker can stay on the payroll, anyone can.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (02-20-2015), jpx7 (02-21-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Fredi will not be fired. Betcha anything he gets "reassigned." If Walker can stay on the payroll, anyone can.
    It's common knowledge around here that Hart is grooming him for the GM role.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Yep. And unless he does something to piss the front office off (and clearly bad managing does not get their blood boiling), he will manage the 2017 season.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Anyone hear his conversation on 680 The Fan today? Interesting to say the least and the guy is really clueless, I'm paraphrasing but here are some answers to the questions:

On possibility of handling match ups and platoons at 5 different positions?

Fredi: As a manager that's exciting, it really is. You never know how we might look one day to the next. You're able to mix and match on any given day and give a different look. But it's not always strictly about numbers or certain match ups, you have to go with you're gut and put them out there and see what they got. Some won't understand at all, but I told John and John, it's like when I was 3rd base coach and whether or not to send a guy on a potential possible play. How do you know if you're gonna score that run or not not send him, you don't, so you send him and sometimes he scored and others he doesn't and you look like an idiot. But you don't know for sure how it's gonna work unless he goes. That's the situation were in. I remember when I 1st came here, and Bobby was the master in these situations. Chris Hammond was trying to make a comeback, and you're thinking this guy could be someone who might be valuable to get a Mo Vaughn or Jeremy Burnitz out, and there's Bobby bringing him in a tight spot to get Mike Piazza or Scott Rolen and I'm like what the hell, the Hammond goes on to have the best year of his career, maybe one of the best relief years ever, and that's because Bobby put him in the best position to succeed."

On what to do with BJ and what role he envisions him in?

Fredi: "First the guy is immensely talented, he's just struggled a little here and there and put to much pressure on himself. When you look at him, his build, his skillset you see someone who needs to be at the top of the lineup. That's where I'd like to
    see him stick."

On trying to construct the lineup with so many new faces.

Fredi: "That's hard and easier. We no longer have a bunch of guys that only want to hit here or there or do this or that. We have great flexibility. We can manufacture, we can bunt, we can pinch hit to get a more favorable matchup. It's harder because I'm not overly familiar with a lot if these guys and what they can do, but we will run them out there and see what they got."

On losing Heyward and Upton and having so much talent come back.

Fredi: "On one hand you're sad, on the other you're exciting, but when we sat down at the end if the season we knew it wasn't gonna work. For whatever reason it didn't work. But I think the thing that is exciting is the pitching, the young pitching with so much upside. That's what this organization was built upon and were getting back to that. You don't need to
    worry about scoring runs when you're throwing a quality pitcher out there everyday. You know if you somehow get 1 or 2 across the plate you're gonna win more often then not."

On the large number of Braves pitchers going under the knife for TJ surgery?

Fredi: "it's pure bad luck, nothing more, but we believe if something is not right, get it out of the way and come back stronger. It easier to come back when you're 21 or 23 then as if you're 29 or 33 or whatever. Shae just felt a twinge, and we said let's get it out of the way, rehab, and come back better than ever. We have great depth in the pen, I'm really exciting about Grilli and Johnson. Going into the offseason I told John I've always wanted a Kevin Gryboski heavy sinker ground ball guy and that's Johnson, were gonna love him, he looks phenominal.

Not sure what he said in all of that that was so wrong:

Quote 1

Chris Johnson:
    vs. LHP - .312/.349/.443
    vs. RHP - .273/.309/.411

Callaspo:
    vs. LHP - .284/.334/.395
    vs. RHP - .259/.328/.360

Kelly Johnson
    vs. LHP - .272/.334/.433
    vs. RHP - .242/.332/.419

Gosselin:
    vs. LHP - .275/.339/.314
    vs. RHP - .260/.278/.325

All 4 guys fare better against LHPs - where's the obvious platoon? Send Peterson to Gwinnett to start the season to get regular ABs AND defensive reps all over to see if he could become that true super-sub in the Prado mold - if he proves capable enough defensively at SS that he could hold his own there if Simmons had to go on the DL for two weeks, he's by far the best option we have for that kind of role. If he and Peraza are performing as expected in late June, see what you can get for KJ and/or Callaspo or release them if you get nothing so Jose and Jace get regular playing time during the second half and are ready to hit the ground running in 2016. None of them other than KJ are threats to hit more than 10 or so HRs, so maybe you use him as Gomes' platoon partner in LF vs. LHPs if Almonte isn't good enough and you carry Perez as the 5th OF so you have a CF option other than B. J. until Toscano's ready (or longer if he somehow sticks).

Quote 2

B. J. IS the only player you could say you "would like to see stick at the top of the lineup". Name another player that has stolen 20+ bases at the MLB level on our 40 Man Roster. That doesn't mean he won't swing and miss too much to deserve to hit there, but it doesn't change the fact that he profiles better as a leadoff guy than anyone else likely to be in our Opening Day lineup. I'm quite sure there are plenty of people who would like to see it so we could salvage some value out of the last part of his contract. There are lots of people who would like to be the next Powerball winner too. That doesn't change the fact that you'd "like" to see a 20+ HR 30+ SB guy at the top.

Quote 3

Heyward never made the slightest effort to hide the fact that he didn't want to be the leadoff hitter - what did he say there that's wrong?

Quote 4

The money wasn't going to work. NOBODY has denied this (including those here who wanted to see one of J-Up or Heyward extended). We had an outside chance of keeping one or the other. Again, what did he say there that was wrong? Those of you who were pretty young when the run started in the early 90s have never really been exposed to a truly dominant pitching staff. I knew I could go to bed whenever we scored our 3rd run in the Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz/Avery days. The only way the outcome would be a loss when I woke up the next morning was if the defense blew it somehow. Nats fans are going to get a whole year's worth of that feeling this season.

Quote 5

If something's not right, get it fixed so you can come back stronger". Ask the Rangers and Jurickson Profar about this one - they've now wasted two full years of his career.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-20-2015 at 01:44 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-20-2015), mossy (02-20-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    "That's hard and easier. We no longer have a bunch of guys that only want to hit here or there or do this or that. We have great flexibility."

That's some pretty awesome spin on the fact that we've replaced middle-of-the-order hitters with guys who ought to be hitting in the bottom third. Hey, on the plus side, we don't really have a "top" or "bottom" [cue Dalyn] of the batting order anymore. Maximum flexibility!

"We can manufacture, we can bunt, we can pinch hit to get a more favorable matchup. It's harder because I'm not overly familiar with a lot if these guys and what they can do, but we will run them out there and see what they got."

I don't really trust Fredi with these tools.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-20-2015), CyYoung31 (02-20-2015), jpx7 (02-21-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    "That's hard and easier. We no longer have a bunch of guys that only want to hit here or there or do this or that. We have great flexibility."

That's some pretty awesome spin on the fact that we've replaced middle-of-the-order hitters with guys who ought to be hitting in the bottom third. Hey, on the plus side, we don't really have a "top" or "bottom" [cue Dalyn] of the batting order anymore. Maximum flexibility!

"We can manufacture, we can bunt, we can pinch hit to get a more favorable matchup. It's harder because I'm not overly familiar with a lot if these guys and what they can do, but we will run them out there and see what they got."

I don't really trust Fredi with these tools.
    I worry whenever any manager has to "manage" and I'm afraid we'll see a ton of that this season. A manager should be like a good defenseman in hockey. If they are doing their job, you never notice them.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-20-2015), jpx7 (02-21-2015), Julio3000 (02-20-2015), thethe (02-21-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    I for one am really excited for the bunting and pinch hitting this season. I am hoping for lots of sac bunts with a runner on first. The most fun to watch play in baseball.
    Last edited by weso1; 02-20-2015 at 04:27 PM.
    thank you weso1!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-21-2015), Metaphysicist (02-22-2015), NinersSBChamps (02-22-2015)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Why does Freddi inspire so much confidence with some folks? His record with ATL is not pretty.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts

This season

"For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (02-22-2015), Dalyn (02-21-2015), Gary82 (02-21-2015), Julio3000 (02-21-2015)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Only thing he said I really didn't like was this

You don't need to worry about scoring runs when you're throwing a quality pitcher out there everyday. You know if you somehow get 1 or 2 across the plate you're gonna win more often then not."

I know what he's saying but I don't like how it's phrased. He should have just complimented the pitching staff instead of saying offense wasn't important and his guys are going to be terrible. That quote doesn't instill much confidence into his hittter's I wouldn't think.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-21-2015), Julio3000 (02-21-2015), Metaphysicist (02-22-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    You are not going to win more often than not if you score 1 or 2 times a game. I don't care how good your rotation is.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-21-2015), jpx7 (02-21-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    You are not going to win more often than not if you score 1 or 2 times a game. I don't care how good your rotation is.
    welcome to FrediLand. You really can't parse his quotes for accuracy; they're designed to take up space in the interview. In other words, he just talks without saying anything.