Thread: Future Bullpen

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

Future Bullpen

Looking at future BP options and there seems to be plenty.

Right now, guys with a year or two of service time at the ML level that IMO have a chance to still be around in a couple of years are:

RH- Withrow, Jenkins, Cabrera with Simmons on the DL. I think both Withrow and Simmons could potentially close.
    LH- Krol, Alvarez, Cervenka.

At AAA and AA you've got:

RH-Ramirez (C), Kelly, Janas, Hursh, Younginer, Roney, Morris (C), Dirks (C)
    LH- Rodriguez (DL), Marksberry, Kent, Minter (C)

And a couple of SP who look to me likely to end up in the pen and potentially close in LHP Banuelos and RHP Sims.

Obviously, all the guys with C by their name won't close and may never even have a chance. I think Minter is being groomed for that spot and Cabrera could be the guy as long as he gets enough control so he doesn't kill someone. But, if you need to get 6 or 7 guys next year (to mix with a vet or two), I don't see a lot of trouble. I do think they will likely lose some of these guys due to a crowded 40 man, so choosing who to keep and who to let go will need to be carefully considered.

This doesn't even take into consideration any wildcards like Cleto or anyone who hasn't appeared at AA ball or higher.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    You also left off Winkler, who was looking fantastic before injury. Obviously some questions on return from that sort of injury, just like with Rodriguez and Simmons, but if he can come back healthy I think he is definitely in the bullpen two years from now. I'd agree Minter seems the likely long term closer, though if Sims can't get his control down enough to start long term he would definitely make an elite relief arm.

I think the big take away here is we are looking in great shape for the near future as far as bullpen arms go.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts
    I think Winkler could possibly pitch by end of year if I recall. Being just a broken bone and no ligament issue I don't think it will take two years. Just hope he can come back. He was looking great out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Some of the guys who have predominantly been starters will also end up in the pen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,925 Posts
    There will be attrition and trades, but we have depth in spades and not just "guys" back there but High quality arms.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    so we can flip viz without regrets?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    IMO.. yes

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,512 Posts
    I think so. I just wonder if it'll be in the next couple weeks. He certainly hasn't been throwing well recently, so maybe it would be smarter to build his value back up in the second half and sell him during the offseason? Either way, he needs to be traded.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    How long is paco under control? He should be back from Tommy John next year right?
    Get off my lawn!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I've been wondering if the odd timing of Cabrera joining the pen, along with already getting 2 saves in 7 outings has been an effort to showcase him for a trade.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    How long is paco under control? He should be back from Tommy John next year right?
    Yeah he should be back next year. Spotrac says he's under control through 2019: http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/atlanta-b...aco-rodriguez/

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I've been wondering if the odd timing of Cabrera joining the pen, along with already getting 2 saves in 7 outings has been an effort to showcase him for a trade.
    That would be a bad decision. Why be in a rush to trade him at a relatively low value?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    That would be a bad decision. Why be in a rush to trade him at a relatively low value?
    If teams were inquiring about him then it wouldn't be considered a rush. I don't know if they have or haven't. It has just seemed odd to me. Who knows what the FO really thinks of him, but if they think he's going to be a one trick pony, then it may be a better time than you think.

The other side is it gives the fans someone to be excited about if Vizcaino is out the door.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    If teams were inquiring about him then it wouldn't be considered a rush. I don't know if they have or haven't. It has just seemed odd to me. Who knows what the FO really thinks of him, but if they think he's going to be a one trick pony, then it may be a better time than you think.

The other side is it gives the fans someone to be excited about if Vizcaino is out the door.
    The thing about "showcasing" Mauricio is that they're not likely to trade him for much less than they're asking for Vizcaino at this point IMO. If someone was asking about him specifically already, Coppy would already have leverage. No roster move was required to put him on the 40-Man roster to call him up. I really believe it was related to the Ogando DFA and Grilli trade AND merit-based.

His last nine appearances before he was recalled: 15 IP, 3 earned runs, 6 hits, 6 BBs (1 intentional), 15 Ks. He'd been pitching as well or better than anyone else who was a candidate to step into the pen at this point.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The thing about "showcasing" Mauricio is that they're not likely to trade him for much less than they're asking for Vizcaino at this point IMO. If someone was asking about him specifically already, Coppy would already have leverage. No roster move was required to put him on the 40-Man roster to call him up. I really believe it was related to the Ogando DFA and Grilli trade AND merit-based.

His last nine appearances before he was recalled: 15 IP, 3 earned runs, 6 hits, 6 BBs (1 intentional), 15 Ks. He'd been pitching as well or better than anyone else who was a candidate to step into the pen at this point.
    We'll see. I like him and love the idea of a fireballer like that in the back of the pen. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's part of a package in the next couple of weeks.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Don't know that I'd say "without regrets" until I saw the return. I'd still want to get something awfully good to let him go - like Julio, he doesn't HAVE TO be dealt. The thing is, I don't think he's got enough value right now to fetch the kind of return I'd want by himself. Given the lack of Saves, he's not likely to get expensive in arbitration over the next couple of seasons. That being the case, I'd just hold onto him to maintain the strong depth we've got at this point unless someone surprised us with a better offer than I think they will.

If one of the contenders were sniffing around Frenchy or another of the guys we're trying to pawn off and I could package him with them to net a really good prospect, I'd go that route - just don't think he'll net us something better than he is in a one-for-one deal, so why move him?

A phone call I'd make if I were Coppy would be to Dayton. The Royals don't have Holland, Hochevar's deal is up following this year, and they're staring a $10 million option to keep Davis in the face. Kinda wonder if a package of Frenchy and Vizcaino for Chase Vallot and Jorge Bonifacio would interest him? They could then let Davis walk if they wanted to save money and still have a dominant back-end for a couple more years while their core is still intact.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I agree on holding onto Vizcaino unless we get good value, but I'm not sure Vallot is the kind of guy I'd want. That kid strikes out more than Riley.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I agree on holding onto Vizcaino unless we get good value, but I'm not sure Vallot is the kind of guy I'd want. That kid strikes out more than Riley.
    More a Frenchy for Vallot/Vizcaino for Bonifacio deal is the way I look at it. Bonifacio looks like he's turned the corner, and should be ready by next spring.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    More a Frenchy for Vallot/Vizcaino for Bonifacio deal is the way I look at it. Bonifacio looks like he's turned the corner, and should be ready by next spring.
    Gotcha. Bonifacio is intriguing; his BABIP is still a bit high, but it looks like he may be able to be an .800 OPS guy in the majors. Any idea what kind of defense he plays?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Gotcha. Bonifacio is intriguing; his BABIP is still a bit high, but it looks like he may be able to be an .800 OPS guy in the majors. Any idea what kind of defense he plays?
    Plus arm (60 according to MLB Pipeline) with decent range in RF. Could maybe platoon him with Mallex to start next season if Markakis is still here or slide Ender to RF and Mallex to CF if he's not.