Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB Network: Swanson is Walt Weiss

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts

MLB Network: Swanson is Walt Weiss

that's a comparison that was thrown out by Dan Plesac last night. Boy if that's the case I'm printing my World Series tickets right now!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    that's a comparison that was thrown out by Dan Plesac last night. Boy if that's the case I'm printing my World Series tickets right now!
    There are certain traits of a Walt Weiss that I would love for Swanson to have. Mainly his defense and BB%. Weiss was very good in those areas and that is something that is strong in Swanson's game. I also think it's obvious that Swanson has a lot more power than Walt did.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    All of our young players always get **** on by the media, and every big market young player is the next HOF'er

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I think Swanson has a higher upside than .260, 2 hr, and 30 RBI a year that Weiss was capable of, lol. Actually, I think Plesac just really likes Weiss and doesn't remember how pedestrian he was offensively.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Weiss plus .120 points of slg%, sure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (08-19-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Probably a poor comparison. I tend to view him as maybe Rendon lite with good defense at a more premium defensive position.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Probably a poor comparison. I tend to view him as maybe Rendon lite with good defense at a more premium defensive position.
    better wheels?

I ask because I'm too busy to waste a google search on a Nats player.
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,991 Posts
    All observers (me included) pull sh*t out of their a** periodically. From what I saw last night, Swanson kind of carries himself like Weiss, but indications are he's a much better hitter. If he can be Weiss defensively with Weiss' plate savvy, that's a good foundation to build on. My guess is Swanson will be a double-digit HR guy when he hits his prime. I like the Rendon-lite comparison offensively. If Swanson can be a consistent .750 - .800 OPS guy who plays a solid SS, that spells all-star to me. For the record, I think Rendon is just scratching the surface of hitting potential. He stays healthy and he could put up an OPS in the high .800s. I'm still steamed that the Braves didn't open up the wallet when they drafted him as a "tough sign" in 2008.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 08-18-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    better wheels?

I ask because I'm too busy to waste a google search on a Nats player.
    I don't know. WHat are they both like 15-20 steal guys at best? Swanson a little higher?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    All observers (me included) pull sh*t out of their a** periodically. From what I saw last night, Swanson kind of carries himself like Weiss, but indications are he's a much better hitter. If he can be Weiss defensively with Weiss' plate savvy, that's a good foundation to build on. My guess is Swanson will be a double-digit HR guy when he hits his prime. I like the Rendon-lite comparison offensively. If Swanson can be a consistent .750 - .800 OPS guy who plays a solid SS, that spells all-star to me. For the record, I think Rendon is just scratching the surface of hitting potential. He stays healthy and he could put up an OPS in the high .800s. I'm still steamed that the Braves didn't open up the wallet when they drafted him as a "tough sign" in 2008.
    Still stings.
    Ivermectin Man

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Do you know the story? They drafted Rendon and insisted he play in this wood bat league over the summer. He told them he didn't want to go unless they offered 2nd round money. He finally relented and absolutely wrecked the league. I'm not sure what they ended up offering, but that is what Rendon was looking for.

I think both have similar approaches. I think when Swanson figures out how to use his lower half to generate power, he will increase power. Rendon probably has a bit better eye and a bit more power, but at a less premium position.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,878 Posts
    http://www.claydavenport.com/ht/SWANSON19940211A.shtml

Will be interesting to see how it shakes up but that model shows Swanson as being a +19 defender at short in the minors so far. Compared to Albies who's been +2 this year at short. So it's clear they made the right choice on who to put at short. He's no Simmons but Swanson will be a plus defender and I see him as a player who isn't really great at one area but should be above average in all areas. aka good player.
    Last edited by thewupk; 08-18-2016 at 09:58 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-18-2016), Julio3000 (08-18-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,991 Posts
    Do you know the story? They drafted Rendon and insisted he play in this wood bat league over the summer. He told them he didn't want to go unless they offered 2nd round money. He finally relented and absolutely wrecked the league. I'm not sure what they ended up offering, but that is what Rendon was looking for.

I think both have similar approaches. I think when Swanson figures out how to use his lower half to generate power, he will increase power. Rendon probably has a bit better eye and a bit more power, but at a less premium position.
    I didn't know that part of the story. Only thing I heard is that Roy Clark begged for the money to sign him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,321 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    http://www.claydavenport.com/ht/SWANSON19940211A.shtml

Will be interesting to see how it shakes up but that model shows Swanson as being a +19 defender at short in the minors so far. Compared to Albies who's been +2 this year at short. So it's clear they made the right choice on who to put at short. He's no Simmons but Swanson will be a plus defender and I see him as a player who isn't really great at one area but should be above average in all areas. aka good player.
    Rendon / Pedroia would be awesome outcomes for Dansby.

I'm okay with him being above average in all areas, except for defense. If he can be plus plus that will be a realistic way for him to become a true cornerstone player.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Rendon / Pedroia would be awesome outcomes for Dansby.

I'm okay with him being above average in all areas, except for defense. If he can be plus plus that will be a realistic way for him to become a true cornerstone player.
    I would agree. I don't see hit hit skill being good enough to be elite there. But if he's a good hitter and a plus plus defender at short then that makes an elite player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,321 Posts

But things have a tendency to work out for Rendon. Following his breakout senior season at Houston Lamar High School, the Braves selected Rendon in the 27th round and invited him to an organizational wood bat tournament during the summer before his freshman year at Rice. Rendon made it clear that he did not want to participate unless the Braves were set to offer a bonus befitting a second-round pick, but the Braves insisted that he attend. He tore the cover off the ball and played impeccable defense over five days, but when the two sides failed to reach terms, Rendon returned home frustrated and enrolled at Rice.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,321 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    But things have a tendency to work out for Rendon. Following his breakout senior season at Houston Lamar High School, the Braves selected Rendon in the 27th round and invited him to an organizational wood bat tournament during the summer before his freshman year at Rice. Rendon made it clear that he did not want to participate unless the Braves were set to offer a bonus befitting a second-round pick, but the Braves insisted that he attend. He tore the cover off the ball and played impeccable defense over five days, but when the two sides failed to reach terms, Rendon returned home frustrated and enrolled at Rice.
    That's infuriating. I knew Rendon was drafted by the Braves out of high school, but I assumed it was unrealistic he was going to sign. I can't believe he was ready do it for second round money.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    How about Edgar Renteria as a comp? That guy was money at SS, particularly offensively.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,321 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I would agree. I don't see hit hit skill being good enough to be elite there. But if he's a good hitter and a plus plus defender at short then that makes an elite player.
    Yup. There are plenty of guys that fit that mold and have excellent careers i.e., Heyward, Andruw, etc.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,878 Posts
    Another comp I've seen of Swanson is Brandon Crawford. If he's Crawford with a better bat then we have our guy. If he's only like Crawford we still come out way on top.