PDA

View Full Version : Around Baseball Offseason Edition - Derek Jeter will retire at seasons end

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

ChapelHillMatt
12-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Talent wins on the field, not chemistry. If chemistry won anything then the Braves would of done something the last few years. Their clubhouses have been great.

The Braves have won a lot of games the last few years. You need both talent and chemistry, talent alone won't do it. Just look at the Angels.

thewupk
12-07-2013, 03:35 PM
The Braves have won a lot of games the last few years. You need both talent and chemistry, talent alone won't do it. Just look at the Angels.

Sure they have won a lot of games but nothing else to show for it. I see overpaid players in decline on the Angels. If Hamilton and Pujols hit like they did a couple of years ago they would of won the division. But they aren't those players anymore. So no I don't see that team as being very talented.

bravesnumberone
12-07-2013, 04:01 PM
The Yankees are either going to be in first place in September or have almost the entire lineup on the DL.

bravebonebook
12-07-2013, 04:17 PM
At least signing all these big contracts including BMac will provide all the more reason to root for the Yankees to lose and miss the playoffs...

nsacpi
12-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Braves versus Yankees WAR projections courtesy of Steamer (with a few assumptions of my own to fill in some vacancies in the Yankees' squad):

C Gattis 4.1 McCann 4.0
1B Freeman 3.6 Teixeira 2.0
2B Uggla 1.3 Infante 2.2
SS Simmons 3.8 Jeter 1.5
3B Johnson 2.1 Uribe 2.8
RF Heyward 5.1 Beltran 1.8
CF BJ Upton 1.1 Ellsbury 3.8
LF Justin Upton 3.1 Gardner 1.8

P Sabathia 3.6 Medlen 2.2
P Kuroda 3.5 Minor 1.8
P Nova 3.2 Wood 1.7
P Garza 2.3 Teheran 1.4
P Phelps 2.2 Beachy 0.2
P Robertson 0.9 Kimbrel 1.4

Some interesting projections that I have a number of disagreements with. But the Yankees do end up about 3 games better than us if they also add Garza, Infante and Uribe.

Yogi44
12-07-2013, 04:28 PM
At least signing all these big contracts including BMac will provide all the more reason to root for the Yankees to lose and miss the playoffs...

I wish the Braves were in a position to have others hate on them for making their team better thru signing players to big contracts. Never understood why folks hate on any team for being able to get better, no matter the means.

buck7580
12-07-2013, 09:02 PM
MLB trade rumors says Nate McLouth will sign with the Nats.

bravesnumberone
12-08-2013, 01:30 AM
MLB trade rumors says Nate McLouth will sign with the Nats.

He'll probably hit 30 homers for them.

Oklahomahawk
12-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Just curious, what do you guys think Garza will want/get in his new contract??

bravebonebook
12-08-2013, 11:19 AM
I wish the Braves were in a position to have others hate on them for making their team better thru signing players to big contracts. Never understood why folks hate on any team for being able to get better, no matter the means.

Jealousy, anger over inflated (almost unrealistic) salaries, frustration that the Braves cannot match the money being thrown around, frustration that these overblown salaries will mean that the Braves won't be able to hold on to their own homegrown talent, jealousy that other teams have overcome these problems and still won World Series, frustration that the Braves are never matched up in rumors with hardly any free agent anymore, etc.

Never understood why folks wouldn't hate on a system that is imbalanced and the teams that use and abuse it to get better, no matter the means. Understand, I've watched baseball for 37 years and am almost to the point of hating it and giving it up. MLB needs some repair.

GovClintonTyree
12-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Braves versus Yankees WAR projections courtesy of Steamer (with a few assumptions of my own to fill in some vacancies in the Yankees' squad):

C Gattis 4.1 McCann 4.0
1B Freeman 3.6 Teixeira 2.0
2B Uggla 1.3 Infante 2.2
SS Simmons 3.8 Jeter 1.5
3B Johnson 2.1 Uribe 2.8
RF Heyward 5.1 Beltran 1.8
CF BJ Upton 1.1 Ellsbury 3.8
LF Justin Upton 3.1 Gardner 1.8

P Sabathia 3.6 Medlen 2.2
P Kuroda 3.5 Minor 1.8
P Nova 3.2 Wood 1.7
P Garza 2.3 Teheran 1.4
P Phelps 2.2 Beachy 0.2
P Robertson 0.9 Kimbrel 1.4

Some interesting projections that I have a number of disagreements with. But the Yankees do end up about 3 games better than us if they also add Garza, Infante and Uribe.

On what planet are 87 mph Sabathia and 47 year old Kuroda worth 3.6 and 3.5 and Medlen and Minor, 2.2 and 1.8?

WAR strikes again. I thought the wobbly defensive metrics were my big problem with it, but I guess it doesn't end there.

nsacpi
12-08-2013, 12:29 PM
On what planet are 87 mph Sabathia and 47 year old Kuroda worth 3.6 and 3.5 and Medlen and Minor, 2.2 and 1.8?

WAR strikes again. I thought the wobbly defensive metrics were my big problem with it, but I guess it doesn't end there.

Yeah. Those projections raised my eyebrow too. This isn't about WAR so much as the Steamer projection system.

Gary82
12-08-2013, 12:33 PM

Minor put up a 3.4 last year. I would expect something similar or better in 14. I don't know why Steamer is so negative.

Kuroda has been pretty decent. He put up a 3.8 last year, so that projection is realistic.

nsacpi
12-08-2013, 12:40 PM
These projection systems are a weighted average of the past three years for the most part. So they tend to like players who have had several years of high productivity, and they underrate young players who are establishing themselves at a high level. I'm a little puzzled though as to why they rate Minor and Medlen so low and yet have Gattis with a pretty high projected WAR. Maybe their system gives more weight to the most recent season for hitters and less for pitchers.

wheresmykayak
12-08-2013, 01:29 PM
My problem with the Yankees isn't the fact that they spend a boatload of money and buy up all the free agents they want. My problem is that they act like they have some brilliant mystique, and don't like to bring up the real reason for their success.

They're like that kid back in high school that thought he was hot stuff for scoring a date with the prettiest girl in the class, even though everyone knows it's because he's the only one who has a car and everyone else is riding on bicycles.

I don't hate them, but I certainly don't respect them for their blunt instrument approach to building teams.

bravesnumberone
12-08-2013, 02:13 PM
The ironic thing is when they went on their run in the late 90s, they didn't do it with a plethora of big-money superstars.

BRule
12-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Seattle is going to trade Franklin, please, please, please get him, Wren.

thethe
12-08-2013, 04:17 PM
I'd go for Franklin for sure. Not sure what they are looking for honestly. Wouldn't trade any of our starting pitchers in the major leagues for him unless they gave us a significant piece in return.

nsacpi
12-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Nick Franklin was very similar to Dan Uggla in 2013.

GovClintonTyree
12-08-2013, 05:05 PM
My problem with the Yankees isn't the fact that they spend a boatload of money and buy up all the free agents they want. My problem is that they act like they have some brilliant mystique, and don't like to bring up the real reason for their success.

They're like that kid back in high school that thought he was hot stuff for scoring a date with the prettiest girl in the class, even though everyone knows it's because he's the only one who has a car and everyone else is riding on bicycles.

I don't hate them, but I certainly don't respect them for their blunt instrument approach to building teams.

The New York Yankees. Purchasing excellence since 1919.

skidlee
12-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m

Sources: #Nationals making strong run at free-agent LH reliever O'Flaherty. #Dodgers, #Phillies also have shown interest.

I think we can scratch him off the list of Loogy's for the braves. Those 3 teams will give him 5+ mill a year.

skidlee
12-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Andy Martino ‏@MartinoNYDN 19m

At least one rival team has been already been told #Mets willing to move Daniel Murphy this week.

I would like Murphy to be our 2Bman but I know the Mets want send him within the division.

nsacpi
12-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Andy Martino ‏@MartinoNYDN 19m

At least one rival team has been already been told #Mets willing to move Daniel Murphy this week.

I would like Murphy to be our 2Bman but I know the Mets want send him within the division.

I don't think the Mets would care about that so long as they got a good return. The question is whether Murphy is an upgrade over our internal options.

skidlee
12-08-2013, 07:26 PM
We have 1 internal option and thats LeStalla. Yes I think Murphy is better then LeStalla but I think LeStalla would out produce him in the second year or so

Braves1976
12-08-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't think the Mets would care about that so long as they got a good return. The question is whether Murphy is an upgrade over our internal options.

I'd love to get Murphy for the right price. But more for a future option at third than second. Murphy is a much better third baseman than second baseman. So he could replace Chris Johnson down the road (or now for that matter).

yeezus
12-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Pissing off your highest bidder is not a good idea. I guess we need to applaud Jay Z for getting his client 60 million less than he asked for?

Who is hova?

lol what is your basis for hating on HOV?
he's a business(,man) who just got his biggest fish a 10 yr deal for 24 mil per.
I'm sure his company knew Cano would not get 300MM.

Braves1976
12-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m

Sources: #Nationals making strong run at free-agent LH reliever O'Flaherty. #Dodgers, #Phillies also have shown interest.

If we lose him to the Nats it could very well cost us the division, esp. since they already added Fister. EOF is a great lefty and the Nats seriously lacked in that area last year. He'd be a huge bullpen upgrade for them so hopefully it doesn't happen.

skillet
12-08-2013, 08:13 PM
If we lose him to the Nats it could very well cost us the division, esp. since they already added Fister. EOF is a great lefty and the Nats seriously lacked in that area last year. He'd be a huge bullpen upgrade for them so hopefully it doesn't happen.

Agreed, we need to bring him back.

GovClintonTyree
12-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Of all the money being thrown around like rappers at a strip club, including that of my most-hated-for-life club the Bankees, the best money being spent is the 3-$45m they gave to Beltran. One of the most underrated players of his generation.

As usual, I don't buy the WAR figures that show him giving back half his offensive value on defense. For a corner outfielder, that's simply not possible. There needs to be some sort of weighting for the defensive metric and it should be different at different positions.

GovClintonTyree
12-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Agreed, we need to bring him back.

I agree. He's got a new ligament. We should offer him a handsome multi year deal. We can always deal him if it doesn't fit into our payroll, and send him to somewhere inconsequential. Washington is not inconsequential.

thewupk
12-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Of all the money being thrown around like rappers at a strip club, including that of my most-hated-for-life club the Bankees, the best money being spent is the 3-$45m they gave to Beltran. One of the most underrated players of his generation.

As usual, I don't buy the WAR figures that show him giving back half his offensive value on defense. For a corner outfielder, that's simply not possible. There needs to be some sort of weighting for the defensive metric and it should be different at different positions.

Have you see Beltran out there lately? He's awful.

GovClintonTyree
12-09-2013, 01:45 AM
Have you see Beltran out there lately? He's awful.

Well, he's not good, but he catches what he gets to. It's gardner's job to cover the gaps, beltrans job to hit. And he can still rake, and he does his best work in October, unlike every Brave since Joe Adcock, Eddie Mathews and Warren Spahn.

The Chosen One
12-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Well, he's not good, but he catches what he gets to. It's gardner's job to cover the gaps, beltrans job to hit. And he can still rake, and he does his best work in October, unlike every Brave since Joe Adcock, Eddie Mathews and Warren Spahn.

Chris Johnson didn't choke this year. :Alone:

GovClintonTyree
12-09-2013, 01:51 AM
Chris Johnson didn't choke this year. :Alone:

True dat. Need more red asses.

thewupk
12-09-2013, 05:23 AM

I agree that he can still rake. But that's all that he can do now and being in the AL where he can DH from time to time will be good for him. And yes he can catch what he gets to. Most major leaguers can. But his knees prevent him from getting to much.

Bye Week
12-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Murphy makes some sense for the right pieces.

He will hit you .285, .330, .420. We could have used that last year for sure. He is average but I can live with average right now.

NYCBrave
12-09-2013, 09:24 AM

Talk about over reaction. He's out until after the all star break.

Tapate50
12-09-2013, 09:30 AM
I just read where we are interested in bringing back Freddy Garcia.

Go ahead and hand us the division title now. I call your Fister/Mclouth moves and raise you a Garcia !

Bye Week
12-09-2013, 09:39 AM

:Gasp:

The Chosen One
12-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Hopefully we avoid getting Fistered too hard, would be a new vocabulary word for Chip.

Tapate50
12-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Roy Halladay retires from baseball signing a one day deal with Toronto to retire a Blue Jay.

50PoundHead
12-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Roy Halladay retires from baseball signing a one day deal with Toronto to retire a Blue Jay.

Wow! Was I ever wrong about Halladay. I thought he'd pitch until he was 40. Thought his mechanics were solid and the fallback was that he wasn't just a thrower. Just goes to show you what I know.

50PoundHead
12-09-2013, 11:21 AM

Are the Yankees going to play Beltran in LF or RF? RF is very manageable at Yankee Stadium and I agree that Beltran is probably the most underrated player of this generation.

clvclv
12-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Are the Yankees going to play Beltran in LF or RF? RF is very manageable at Yankee Stadium and I agree that Beltran is probably the most underrated player of this generation.

Everything I've heard or read is that he'll be in RF. That leaves Gardner in LF, with Ichiro and Wells as the 4th and 5th OFs (and Gardner as the obvious trade chip).

sturg33
12-09-2013, 01:56 PM
They also have Soriono, whom I guess is the DH.

Literally 6 outfielders. And are interested in Ibanez...

clvclv
12-09-2013, 02:01 PM
They also have Soriono, whom I guess is the DH.

Literally 6 outfielders. And are interested in Ibanez...

This is why I think the writing's on the wall concerning Gardner. He's the only guy with value that could be included to get a SP or 2B.

Tapate50
12-09-2013, 02:46 PM
I doubt they find anyone to take on Soriano, so Gardner is really their only player with any value.

CrimsonCowboy
12-09-2013, 09:38 PM
From the files of "What Might Have Been", Mark Prior has officially retired

CrimsonCowboy
12-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m

Sources: #Indians listening on Masterson with idea of exploring longer-term options. Masterson entering final season before free agency.

cajunrevenge
12-10-2013, 05:03 AM
I like the idea of going after Daniel Murphy as well. He is amazingly similar to Chris Johnson. CJ is a lifetime .289/.328/.438 hitter. Murphy is a lifetime .290/.333/.424 hitter. Murphy had an almost identical season to what Johnson had this year back in 2011. If anything I think Murphy is the better player because he plays plus defense at 3B and can play 2B which adds a ton of value. If Johnson regresses next year Murphy would be an ideal platoon partner and La Stella can still play 2B. Maybe its the pain of watching two sub .200 hitters starting every game that makes me highly value batting average. Replace a .190 hitter with a .290 hitter, thats 1 more hit out of every 10 at bats. A little BABIP magic like he had in 2011 and it would be close to 1.5 hits out of every 10 at bats.

I am also getting a bad vibe that the Braves are going to trade for Samardzija. Maybe he becomes that ace so many think we need, I just dont see him being better than a mid rotation starter.

Hawk
12-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Some interesting shizz about this AM:

@Buster_ESPN: The Phillies have indicated to other teams they are ready and willing to talk about Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels in trades.
[ http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/410407376726941696 ]

@pgammo: One club says Phils will attach D. Brown if someone takes Papelbon, use $ for a starter
[ http://twitter.com/pgammo/status/410407708039585792 ]

@JeffPassan: At this point, impossible to know what to believe about Tanaka. Two most plugged-in people I've asked: one said he's posting, other said no.
[ http://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/410414293776355328 ]

@Buster_ESPN: Asking price for Omar Infante is said to be north of $8 million per season, on a long-term deal.
[ http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/410417865464889346 ]

nsacpi
12-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Rajai Davis 9-10M over 2 years. Now we know why the Tigers needed to clear Fister's salary! smh

50PoundHead
12-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Rajai Davis 9-10M over 2 years. Now we know why the Tigers needed to clear Fister's salary! smh

I've never been able to fathom the Rajai Davis magic. Doubles his salary and I don't see him as much more than a 4th OF. A very good 4th OF, but a 4th OF nonetheless.

50PoundHead
12-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Some interesting shizz about this AM:

@Buster_ESPN: The Phillies have indicated to other teams they are ready and willing to talk about Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels in trades.
[ http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/410407376726941696 ]

@pgammo: One club says Phils will attach D. Brown if someone takes Papelbon, use $ for a starter
[ http://twitter.com/pgammo/status/410407708039585792 ]

@JeffPassan: At this point, impossible to know what to believe about Tanaka. Two most plugged-in people I've asked: one said he's posting, other said no.
[ http://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/410414293776355328 ]

@Buster_ESPN: Asking price for Omar Infante is said to be north of $8 million per season, on a long-term deal.
[ http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/410417865464889346 ]

Is Infante's this year's Bourn? Guy with a pretty good track record who is going to have to wait for bigger chips to fall before he figures out what his realistic market is? $8 M per seems a bit on the high side for Omar, but if Rajai Davis can bank $4.5 M to $5 M per, it's an understandable demand.

nsacpi
12-10-2013, 10:49 AM
McLouth signed for slightly more than Rajai Davis. 4-5M/year seems to be the going rate for a backup outfielder. A 0.5-1.0 WAR player.

Infante should easily get 8M/year in this market.

Tapate50
12-10-2013, 10:54 AM
McLouth signed for slightly more than Rajai Davis. 4-5M/year seems to be the going rate for a backup outfielder. A 0.5-1.0 WAR player.

Infante should easily get 8M/year in this market.

I would give it to him. Could really use the bat and defense

50PoundHead
12-10-2013, 11:57 AM
I would give it to him. Could really use the bat and defense

Davis, McLouth, or Infante?

nsacpi, I think McLouth is a better player than Davis by quite a bit. McLouth may not be what he once was (and he can't play CF so Davis gets the nod there), but I've always seen Davis as a "speed only" guy.

bravebonebook
12-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Guess $8 million per is going to price Infante out of the Braves' range also...:mad0182:

Tapate50
12-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Davis, McLouth, or Infante?

nsacpi, I think McLouth is a better player than Davis by quite a bit. McLouth may not be what he once was (and he can't play CF so Davis gets the nod there), but I've always seen Davis as a "speed only" guy.

Infante.

clvclv
12-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Guess $8 million per is going to price Infante out of the Braves' range also...:mad0182:

Would also assume that would force Wren to eat AT LEAST $16 million of the remaining money on Uggla's deal to have any chance of getting anyone to take a flier - can't see the logic in paying Dan more than $5 million per if Infante gets $8 million per in any universe.

Enscheff
12-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Everything I've heard or read is that he'll be in RF. That leaves Gardner in LF, with Ichiro and Wells as the 4th and 5th OFs (and Gardner as the obvious trade chip).

Uggla for Wells, making Wells a $21M 4th OFer?

clvclv
12-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Uggla for Wells, making Wells a $21M 4th OFer?

Entirely too early for tequila shots...I'm still in the office!!!

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Orphan Black
12-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Trumbo to the DBacks sounds official...Angels did good in that trade...Trumbo should do well playing half his games in Arizona, but don't think he was worth what the Angels got for him.

Hawk
12-10-2013, 03:11 PM
@JonHeymanCBS: #yankees #mets #padres have inquired on dustin ackley. #mariners [ http://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/410498708430524416 ]

I mentioned this a while ago, but I'd love for the Braves to go after Ackley. Zduriencik is under intense pressure (with the Cano signing, and Blengino/Wedge lambasting both him and Seattle ownership in the press recently) to win this season, and by all accounts it sounds like he is preparing to go on a Steve Phillips 2001 vintage spending spree (Burnitz, Alomar, Amico, Vaughn, et al.)

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2022420240_mariners08xml.html

Blengino said that Zduriencik, "... never has understood one iota about statistical analysis. To this day, he evaluates hitters by homers, RBI and batting average and pitchers by wins and ERA. Statistical analysis was foreign to him."

Therefore, I propose we dump Uggla into Z's lap posthaste.

clvclv
12-10-2013, 03:24 PM
@JonHeymanCBS: #yankees #mets #padres have inquired on dustin ackley. #mariners [ http://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/410498708430524416 ]

I mentioned this a while ago, but I'd love for the Braves to go after Ackley. Zduriencik is under intense pressure (with the Cano signing, and Blengino/Wedge lambasting both him and Seattle ownership in the press recently) to win this season, and by all accounts it sounds like he is preparing to go on a Steve Phillips 2001 vintage spending spree (Burnitz, Alomar, Amico, Vaughn, et al.)

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2022420240_mariners08xml.html

Blengino said that Zduriencik, "... never has understood one iota about statistical analysis. To this day, he evaluates hitters by homers, RBI and batting average and pitchers by wins and ERA. Statistical analysis was foreign to him."

Therefore, I propose we dump Uggla into Z's lap posthaste.

I'd love to take a shot at Ackley as a "roll the dice" guy, but can't see any reason that they'd be willing to have anything to do with Uggla. Still wouldn't mind trying to get Dustin some other way. .304/.374/.435/.809 in 53 games during the second half after returning from his demotion last season.

Of course if Jack Z would consider Dan straight up for him if we'd pick up the $16 million I mentioned earlier...

:elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

Hawk
12-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Trumbo to the DBacks sounds official...Angels did good in that trade...Trumbo should do well playing half his games in Arizona, but don't think he was worth what the Angels got for him.

Agreed. Skaggs is a worthy gamble. I also thought Towers traded Bauer away a little prematurely last offseason. But Trumbo will probably mash in Phoenix, similar to Mark Reynolds.

nsacpi
12-10-2013, 03:27 PM
We need to make more trades with Towers.

clvclv
12-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Looks like Borass' asking price for Choo is going to have to come down in the event he doesn't want both he and Cano to wind up in Seattle (although Choo seems to make much more marketing sense there given the city's demographics). Yankees and Mutts are out, Boston's out, Dodgers sure as *ell don't need him and the Angels can't afford him, Arizona's out, both Chicago teams are out, and Daniels continues to say the price is to steep for Texas to play (so far)...doesn't seem to leave Scotty with many options as a mystery team.

emk418
12-10-2013, 04:17 PM

That's an awful trade for the Dbacks. Angels and Whitesox did well.

Heyward
12-10-2013, 04:23 PM
I like Trumbo but for Skaggs and Eaton?

Meh.

Regards to Choo, his market will be interesting with Arizona now out.

BRule
12-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Hilarious how quickly AZ went from young, talented contender to stupid morons.

NinersSBChamps
12-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Guessing Trumbo will play in left field? That is some serious right handed pop they have now with Goldschmidt and Trumbo.

Bdawg2309
12-10-2013, 06:06 PM
lol

i remember when the dbacks were bragging about the up and coming trio of corbin/skaggs/bauer. only 1 left

then again, same thing happened with teheran/vizcaino/delgado

Heyward
12-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Mariners sign Corey Hart, still think they need at LEAST 2 more bats to make the Cano signing worth a damn.

Nats trade for Blevins.

nsacpi
12-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Blevins is a good pickup for the Gnats. Wouldn't have minded seeing him in the Bravos pen.

Heyward
12-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Mariners trade for LoMo.

Enscheff
12-11-2013, 04:25 PM
It looks like the Phils can't give away Pap and his $13M salary. Every day it appears CK will be worth less and less on the trade market once he starts getting paid $10M+.

Heyward
12-11-2013, 04:53 PM
It looks like the Phils can't give away Pap and his $13M salary. Every day it appears CK will be worth less and less on the trade market once he starts getting paid $10M+.

If Kimbrel hit the FA market, lot of teams would be after him.

But if you're right, maybe we can sign him to a cheaper team than expected?

CrimsonCowboy
12-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Sweeny Murti ‏@YankeesWFAN 5m
Mets have agreed to terms with Bartolo Colon. Hearing its 2-year deal, pending physical.

Sweeny Murti ‏@YankeesWFAN 5m
Correction: Mets and Colon still talking. But are discussing 2 year deal. NOT FINAL YET. Correcting previous tweet

Hawk
12-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Rosenthal says it's 2 yrs, 20 million.

50PoundHead
12-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Rosenthal says it's 2 yrs, 20 million.

And he gets first crack at the buffet.

50PoundHead
12-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Blevins is a good pickup for the Gnats. Wouldn't have minded seeing him in the Bravos pen.

Prospect that the A's got for Blevins is Billy Burns, a Georgia kid who the Braves drafted out of high school in 2008. Burns opted to go to Mercer College (same school attended by none other than John Rocker) and was a 32nd round pick of the Nationals in 2011. He had an awesome 2013, with OBPs > .400 at both his stops (one in High A and one in AA). Stole 77 bases total and was only caught 7 times.

Heyward
12-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Choo has a 7-year offer from the Rangers, less than what Ellsbury got.

Choo wants 8 years though.

Tapate50
12-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Choo has a 7-year offer from the Rangers, less than what Ellsbury got.

Choo wants 8 years though.

And I want Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** he is! Hallelujah! Holy ****! Where's the Tylenol?

But it ain't gonna happen...right?

bravesnumberone
12-11-2013, 10:59 PM
So it's gotten to where Sin Shoo Choo is getting a possible 7-8-year deal now.

The lulz.

jpx7
12-11-2013, 11:12 PM
So it's gotten to where Sin Shoo Choo is getting a possible 7-8-year deal now.

The lulz.

I'd rather have Choo than Ellsbury, going forward.

On the other hand: Ellsbury's deal is insane.

The Chosen One
12-11-2013, 11:15 PM
jpx, I'd rather have Choo on my team than anyone else here. :cooter:

<3

sentenza
12-12-2013, 02:43 AM
Yankees reject Phillips for Gardner trade!

The Yankees reject a deal for a power hitter? Impossible!!!!

Bj1133
12-12-2013, 07:23 AM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Papelbon's "clubhouse presence" may have an impact on his trade value

stpeteirish
12-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Free Agent deals are insane, they are almost always overpays. Look at our recent (BJ) history. Makes more sense to me to spend your money on your young talent and buy a few guys on cheap one year deals who have had bad years and hope a few bounce back to prior performance, at least for a while.

yeezus
12-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Free Agent deals are insane, they are almost always overpays. Look at our recent (BJ) history. Makes more sense to me to spend your money on your young talent and buy a few guys on cheap one year deals who have had bad years and hope a few bounce back to prior performance, at least for a while.

I'd prefer my recent BJ history be left OUT OF THIS!

jpx7
12-12-2013, 09:47 PM
jpx, I'd rather have Choo on my team than anyone else here. :cooter:

<3

Someone's going for Chairman of the Flirts, too.

The Chosen One
12-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Someone's going for Chairman of the Flirts, too.

Never too late to get in the game. I've been missing out.

CrimsonCowboy
12-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Rays are close to a multi-year agreement with James Loney

CrimsonCowboy
12-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 37s
Omar Infante is close to an agreement on a four-year deal for about $30 million with the Kansas City Royals.

nsacpi
12-13-2013, 05:57 PM
I like the Loney and Infante signings. The Rays and Royals done good.

Enscheff
12-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 37s
Omar Infante is close to an agreement on a four-year deal for about $30 million with the Kansas City Royals.

Wren must not think fixing 2B is as big of a need as I do. This deal for Infante could be matched and he is the last clear FA upgrade at 2B available, so Wren must be ready to rotate Pena, TLS, Pastor and Uggla through 2B and see if any of them can produce.

My guess: Wren will be desperate for an upgrade at 2B by the deadline.

PawPawMaxwell
12-13-2013, 06:31 PM
My guess is that he talked to every team needing a 2nd baseman and couldnt find anyone needing 25M in their Xmas stocking.

thewupk
12-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Wren must not think fixing 2B is as big of a need as I do. This deal for Infante could be matched and he is the last clear FA upgrade at 2B available, so Wren must be ready to rotate Pena, TLS, Pastor and Uggla through 2B and see if any of them can produce.

Signing Infante to a 4 year deal with Uggla on the team already making a ton is not a wise move if you can't move him.

zitothebrave
12-13-2013, 07:03 PM

30 million for infante is insane.

nsacpi
12-13-2013, 07:08 PM
7.5 mil a year is a great price for a player like Infante who will probably average 2 WAR/year over the course of the contract.

Heyward
12-13-2013, 07:14 PM
I like Infante but thats too much.

Especially with Uggla already on the books.

I'd love to get Kendrick if they can dump Uggla.

His contract is perfect.

Enscheff
12-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Why does it matter if Uggla is on the books already? The concept of "sunk cost" needs to be understood by a lot more people it seems.

Uggla is going to be paid $13M next year whether he is sitting on the bench, sitting in AAA, or in the lineup hitting .185 and striking out every other AB. He is a sunk cost, so move on and get someone in here to provide production at 2B.

2B is broken, and it doesn't matter if Uggla makes $1M or $100M...it needs to be fixed.

Heyward
12-13-2013, 07:25 PM
We're a mid-payroll team, we cant sign everyone.

We have to rely on our prospects, younger players to produce.

Whose to say TLS cant be that?

nsacpi
12-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Actually Uggla is not a completely sunk cost. Most of the projections systems have him being better than a replacement player. For 2014 they project an OPS of about .710. With his negative defense factored in they have him at a 1 to 1.5 WAR player.

The projection systems like La Stella more than Uggla in 2014.

It isn't unreasonable to project that the Braves group of in-house second basemen will be able to generate about 2 WAR in 2014.

In evaluating whether it would be a good idea to sign Infante it turns out to be quite important whether you believe the in-house solutions will produce 2 WAR or zero WAR.

Let's say you expect Infante to be a 3 WAR player. If the in-house solutions are expected to produce 2 WAR then you are only improving by 1 WAR in picking up Infante. The price might be a bit too steep in that scenario. If you believe the in-house solutions will yield zero WAR, then signing Infante looks like a pretty cost-effective move.

thewupk
12-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Why does it matter if Uggla is on the books already? The concept of "sunk cost" needs to be understood by a lot more people it seems.

Uggla is going to be paid $13M next year whether he is sitting on the bench, sitting in AAA, or in the lineup hitting .185 and striking out every other AB. He is a sunk cost, so move on and get someone in here to provide production at 2B.

2B is broken, and it doesn't matter if Uggla makes $1M or $100M...it needs to be fixed.

Because we don't have unlimited funds. We are paying Uggla that money regardless it seems. Paying Infante or someone else several million on top of that is pointless since we have a guy that should be ok at league minimum.

cajunrevenge
12-13-2013, 10:19 PM
The Infante deal isnt that bad in my opinion. I would have been fine with the Braves signing him to that so long as he agreed to be a utility man and we didnt guarantee him the starting 2B job. I wish we cou;d sign 2 Omar Infante's, one for 2B and one for utility.

Hawk
12-13-2013, 10:27 PM
I see what you saying, but $7.5MM for a utility player is a luxury that the Braves cannot afford.

nsacpi
12-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Why stop at 2.

With a team of 25 Infantes the Braves would conquer the world.

The Chosen One
12-13-2013, 10:32 PM
I would've signed Omar just because he has All-Star on his credentials.

Hawk
12-13-2013, 10:34 PM
And because we all miss having an Omar on the team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmtuRRhtGQw

stpeteirish
12-14-2013, 01:38 PM

And you also have to understand that GM's get fired too, and signing Infante as a Free Agent after trading him for Uggla, after signing Uggla in a massive overpay makes you look like a complete idiot, rather than just an idiot.

Heyward
12-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 3h
D-Backs announce they've traded third base prospect Matt Davidson for closer Addison Reed.

GovClintonTyree
12-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Good god. Did you guys see the deal the Rox signed with Boone Logan? $16.5m over three years. $4.75, 5.5, 6.25.

No wonder Frank has sticker shock. His peers are running around like Slim Thug in a strip joint, making it rain.

$16.5m. $5.5m/yr. Boone Logan.

yeezus
12-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Good god. Did you guys see the deal the Rox signed with Boone Logan? $16.5m over three years. $4.75, 5.5, 6.25.

No wonder Frank has sticker shock. His peers are running around like Slim Thug in a strip joint, making it rain.

And people think 8.5 for Floyd, if he pitches really well, is a lot?

PawPawMaxwell
12-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 3h
D-Backs announce they've traded third base prospect Matt Davidson for closer Addison Reed.

So a pre arb closer with 40 saves this past year nets you a prospect in trade.

Still think Kimbrel is destined for 15-20M???????

NinersSBChamps
12-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Mark Ellis signs with the Cardinals. He's the ideal player for that team. Pesky white dude.

Heyward
12-16-2013, 04:54 PM
So a pre arb closer with 40 saves this past year nets you a prospect in trade.

Still think Kimbrel is destined for 15-20M???????

If he hits the FA market and stays healthy, you bet.

PawPawMaxwell
12-16-2013, 05:27 PM
If he hits the FA market and stays healthy, you bet.

Multiple definitions of conviction.

NinersSBChamps
12-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Busy day for baseball transactions today.

Drew Stubbs is heading to Colorado, Ibanez signed with the Angels, and San Diego signed Joaquin Benoit.

Word is Choo turned down a 7/140 deal from the Yankees right before they went ahead and signed Beltran. Texas seems to have the most interest, but I can't see a deal for more than 5 years.

stpeteirish
12-18-2013, 06:56 PM

No wonder we haven't inked EOF yet.

CrimsonCowboy
12-20-2013, 03:23 PM
The Grant Balfour to Baltimore deal is dead

NinersSBChamps
12-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Choo and Texas have agreed on a 7 year deal for 130 million dollars.

cajunrevenge
12-21-2013, 01:27 PM
This contract is insane.

Heyward
12-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Thats actually a good deal.

NinersSBChamps
12-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Thats actually a good deal.

Yeah I think so too. Just compare it other contracts and it's a good deal.

The Chosen One
12-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Unreal. Goodbye Heyward Goodbye Freeman

BRule
12-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Choo is a perfect fit in Texas, considering what Ellsbury got...this is a steal.

SAV brings up a good point, with the new TV money and what FA's are getting, is there any chance we keep any of Freeman, Heyward, Upton, Minor, Kim...? Which is why we should be trying to lock them up to contracts, now, that take them past year 2 or 3 of when they should hit the market.

Heyward
12-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Unreal. Goodbye Heyward Goodbye Freeman

Choo was always going to get a contract like that.

I think Heyward is as good as gone.

Slim chance they may be able to keep Freeman.

The Chosen One
12-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Choo is a perfect fit in Texas, considering what Ellsbury got...this is a steal.

SAV brings up a good point, with the new TV money and what FA's are getting, is there any chance we keep any of Freeman, Heyward, Upton, Minor, Kim...? Which is why we should be trying to lock them up to contracts, now, that take them past year 2 or 3 of when they should hit the market.

Too late. I'm sure hey free and April all saw this and said if he's gonna get that then watch what im gonna get.

zitothebrave
12-21-2013, 03:56 PM

Contracts aren't gonna go way too high up. We can afford 3 stars. 2 of them should be Freeman and Heyward. I have a hunch the FO may be stockpiling money to keep Jason and Freddie around longer. I don't think with th enew park opening Liberty would want the cornerstones of the Franchise leaving.

As far as the Choo deal goes, it's a virtual lock to be a bad contract.

Choo is 31, and is fresh off a career year, he's not a great defender, his peak fWAR was 5.9 in a seemingly outlier defensive season. Guy can hit, that's for sure, but I don't know if he's worth more than maybe 12-15 million. I think his 2012 performance will be more typical than his 2013 meaning he'll be a 2-4 WAR player. NOthing special. Ellsbury is 30 so has the same potential age issue But his highs are way higher 9.1 WAR The concern with Ellsbury is he has basically missed 2 seasons with injuries and was hurt last year as well. But he's a great defender and plays CF so if he hits any he's way more valuable than Choo.

Enscheff
12-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Brian Roberts signed with the Yanks for $2M. That was a low risk signing Wren should have made for 2B.

Nick Franklin should be available now that Seattle signed Cano. Wren should be looking into him as well.

Heyward
12-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Brian Roberts signed with the Yanks for $2M. That was a low risk signing Wren should have made for 2B.

No, it wasnt.

Nothing wrong with internal options at 2B, not named Uggla.

zitothebrave
12-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Brian ROberts has done nothing since 2009. He would continue that trend I'm sure. Over the last 4 years he's averaged 48 games a season.

The one the Braves missed the boat on if you would was Kelly Johnson. ANother guy to look at though he's defensively inept is Justin Turner. I think the Braves are going with Uggla as option 1, TLS as option 2. Pena/Pastor as option 3. If none are up to snuff a trade will be made.

BRule
12-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Contracts aren't gonna go way too high up. We can afford 3 stars. 2 of them should be Freeman and Heyward. I have a hunch the FO may be stockpiling money to keep Jason and Freddie around longer. I don't think with th enew park opening Liberty would want the cornerstones of the Franchise leaving.

As far as the Choo deal goes, it's a virtual lock to be a bad contract.

Choo is 31, and is fresh off a career year, he's not a great defender, his peak fWAR was 5.9 in a seemingly outlier defensive season. Guy can hit, that's for sure, but I don't know if he's worth more than maybe 12-15 million. I think his 2012 performance will be more typical than his 2013 meaning he'll be a 2-4 WAR player. NOthing special. Ellsbury is 30 so has the same potential age issue But his highs are way higher 9.1 WAR The concern with Ellsbury is he has basically missed 2 seasons with injuries and was hurt last year as well. But he's a great defender and plays CF so if he hits any he's way more valuable than Choo.

Choo doesn't need to be a great defender with Martin and Rios....You stick Choo with Profar, Elvis, Prince, Beltre, Rios, Martin....team is going to score a **** ton of runs.

zitothebrave
12-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Choo doesn't need to be a great defender with Martin and Rios....You stick Choo with Profar, Elvis, Prince, Beltre, Rios, Martin....team is going to score a **** ton of runs.

Yes. They will score runs. And you need defense as part of your value. Last year he was thrown into CF which really hurt his UZR. But he's struggled in RF before.

Gimme a guy like Heyward who you know is gonna be sick in RF.

BTW, Jason has the 2nd highest fWAR from qualified RF the last 2 seasons. the highest is Zobrist, but in defense of Jason, Zobrist played much more at 2B than RF, and Zobrists ability to apparently play every position on the field with plus defense and his quality bat give him sick value.

BRule
12-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Yes. They will score runs. And you need defense as part of your value. Last year he was thrown into CF which really hurt his UZR. But he's struggled in RF before.

Gimme a guy like Heyward who you know is gonna be sick in RF.

BTW, Jason has the 2nd highest fWAR from qualified RF the last 2 seasons. the highest is Zobrist, but in defense of Jason, Zobrist played much more at 2B than RF, and Zobrists ability to apparently play every position on the field with plus defense and his quality bat give him sick value.

He's gonna play LF in Texas, he will be fine.

zitothebrave
12-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Maybe. We've seen the issues of a quality RF defender in Justin Upton has had moving to RF. I don't think it's a given someone switching from one corner to the other will translate their skills.

yeezus
12-21-2013, 06:05 PM

Nick Franklin should be available now that Seattle signed Cano. Wren should be looking into him as well.

You talk like $2 million basically doesn't count for the Braves org.
If they spent that on a guy who is as close as it gets to a sure thing to be injured, that's $2 million less that they have available to spend on the bullpen. We could have $15 million in useless 2B costs.

yeezus
12-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Maybe. We've seen the issues of a quality RF defender in Justin Upton has had moving to RF. I don't think it's a given someone switching from one corner to the other will translate their skills.

I think Justin will adjust and be better this year, but yeah, it's not a guarantee, and Justin is a better athlete than Choo.

zitothebrave
12-21-2013, 06:14 PM
I think Justin will be better as well. We all just assumed he'd be fine in LF and he wasn't. You could see it in his ability to track balls. He was much more comfortable in RF. One thing people don't think about when it comes to LF is everything is a mirror of RF. So your gut reaction if you're a RF and a righty is at the plate and the ball is someing to you is totally different. I mean regardless it's going to tail towards the line, but the line is on the other side.

Runnin
12-21-2013, 09:50 PM
I think Justin will be better as well. We all just assumed he'd be fine in LF and he wasn't. You could see it in his ability to track balls. He was much more comfortable in RF. One thing people don't think about when it comes to LF is everything is a mirror of RF. So your gut reaction if you're a RF and a righty is at the plate and the ball is someing to you is totally different. I mean regardless it's going to tail towards the line, but the line is on the other side.
A better athlete makes that adjustment in spring training. It's not that big of a deal. Getting comfortable at Turner Field is probably harder.

Choo is a better defender because he knows as a little Asian guy he has no room for error. He focuses and performs. Justin seems to have learned defense from Garret Anderson.

zitothebrave
12-21-2013, 11:53 PM
A better athlete makes that adjustment in spring training. It's not that big of a deal. Getting comfortable at Turner Field is probably harder.

Choo is a better defender because he knows as a little Asian guy he has no room for error. He focuses and performs. Justin seems to have learned defense from Garret Anderson.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/157/122/f.gif

cajunrevenge
12-22-2013, 01:09 AM
I like the idea of trading for Nick Franklin. I dont think they will trade him just because they signed Cano. Brad Miller at SS is far from a sure thing so I think they keep both and see how things play out. Best chance I think is in a 3 way deal where the Mariners get someone like Price. Maybe we have a prospect or two the Rays prefer over Franklin.

Hawk
01-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Nationals sign Jamey Carroll to a Minor League deal.

AUTiger7222
01-10-2014, 12:44 AM
I still can't believe the Omar Infante deal. What are the Royals smoking?

thethe
01-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Well, A-Rod gets 162. Apparently, he is going to appeal to a federal court. So much humor.

cajunrevenge
01-11-2014, 03:46 PM
I think this lawsuit isn't going to be as much of a slam dunk for mlb as most people think.Bud is just a puppet doing the yankees bidding. I think ARod is going to payoff someone in the commisioners office to blow the whistle.

Hawk
01-11-2014, 04:08 PM
I think this lawsuit isn't going to be as much of a slam dunk for mlb as most people think.Bud is just a puppet doing the yankees bidding. I think ARod is going to payoff someone in the commisioners office to blow the whistle.

I agree. A-Rod making waves is potentially far worse for MLB than Canseco popping open the can of steroidal worms.

PawPawMaxwell
01-11-2014, 06:31 PM
At this time ARod is fighting a one man battle. The union has already backed out of the fight. Qite possibly we will never see ARod play again. Oh well.

thewupk
01-11-2014, 08:53 PM
At this time ARod is fighting a one man battle. The union has already backed out of the fight. Qite possibly we will never see ARod play again. Oh well.

He is still under contract from 2015-2017. So he will get paid for those years. Whether the Yankees let him play is up to them.

thewupk
01-11-2014, 08:57 PM
I agree. A-Rod making waves is potentially far worse for MLB than Canseco popping open the can of steroidal worms.

While I think ARod is a douchebag and a juicer he does have a point in all this. He has never failed a drug test. Yet he is getting banned for a season which is longer then what a 3rd time abuser would get. MLB is making up the rules as they go and this could bite them in the ass.

zitothebrave
01-11-2014, 09:32 PM
While I think ARod is a douchebag and a juicer he does have a point in all this. He has never failed a drug test. Yet he is getting banned for a season which is longer then what a 3rd time abuser would get. MLB is making up the rules as they go and this could bite them in the ass.

He did fail a drug test. He failed the 03 one. And I think the 08 one, don't recall exactly. He does have a case though. But MLB may have one as well. We'll see.

thewupk
01-12-2014, 12:02 AM
He did fail a drug test. He failed the 03 one. And I think the 08 one, don't recall exactly. He does have a case though. But MLB may have one as well. We'll see.

He failed a test for stimulants which is different from PEDs. Should have made that clear. Still, he failed no test this time.

zitothebrave
01-12-2014, 12:06 AM
He failed a test for stimulants which is different from PEDs. Should have made that clear. Still, he failed no test this time.

No but they have to have something, my guess is receipts.

thewupk
01-12-2014, 06:02 AM

Even so the 200+ game ban they were trying to seek is still way more then what they should be able to do under the CBA.

PawPawMaxwell
01-12-2014, 08:29 AM

And neither did the other 12 players who accepted the suspensions. What I find interesting and something no one has bothered to mention is that all of the players suspended, other than Braun, are Latin players. Did they get some bad advice, did no one bother to educate them, was it assumed that the rules were understood by everyone?

Meant to quote someone other than you Zito Oops

PawPawMaxwell
01-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Seems to me that MLB tried to let the courts clean up their game (Bonds and Balco), allowed the Federal Congress to try (Clemens, et al), both of which failed or just didnt care. So MLB does their own investigating, ethical or not we may never know, but at least MLB and the MLBPA are now working together it would seem.

gtcway
01-12-2014, 10:11 AM
I don't care what happens to Arod any longer. He's an obvious juicer, and lies about it. If he never plays again no one will miss him.

What I don't like is that all of this helps the Yankees. Helps them with the luxury tax, or gives them about 25 million to spend if they choose. If the suspension doesn't get overturned, you know MLB and the Yankees will find a way to get out of his remaining contract.
Personally, I would have Arod forfeit his salary for 2014, but the Yankees still have to pay it, only donating it to charity and it still counts towards their payroll.

CrimsonCowboy
01-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Fixing to watch this 60 Minutes profile on Alex Rodriguez. See how explosive this story is.

CrimsonCowboy
01-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Chipper has weighed in on the 60 Minutes profile so far:

Chipper Jones ‏@RealCJ10 11s

Anyone watching 60 minutes?? Tony Bosch can kiss my ass!!! Ignorant statement after ignorant statement. This guy is crooked and a clown!

drewdat
01-12-2014, 08:44 PM
I think A-Rod's argument only makes sense operating under the assumption that the world revolves around him. No one stood to gain anything by targeting an innocent player.

Hawk
01-13-2014, 06:13 AM
Fixing to watch this 60 Minutes profile on Alex Rodriguez. See how explosive this story is.

What did you think? Worth the download?

PawPawMaxwell
01-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Chipper has weighed in on the 60 Minutes profile so far:

Chipper Jones ‏@RealCJ10 11s

Anyone watching 60 minutes?? Tony Bosch can kiss my ass!!! Ignorant statement after ignorant statement. This guy is crooked and a clown!

No one has ever said that Chipper was/is a mental giant but just what did he have to gain by weighing in on this topic when on other credible player has commented?

thethe
01-13-2014, 08:26 AM
A-Rods lawyer makes a compelling case that A-rod should win his appeal. Should be interesting.

PawPawMaxwell
01-13-2014, 08:47 AM
ARod has won nothing to this point. Considering that and if he should lose in Federal Court, along with the Sherman Act, and historical precedence, then throw in all the aspects of contractural law, the future CBA in 2016, I would wager a significant amount that the NYY will then ATTEMPT to break the remaining contract with ARod. And I think they would have a very strong case and good chance to win.

The Chosen One
01-13-2014, 08:57 AM
The thing is, if A-Rod appeals this, Selig can and probably will likely ban A-Rod for life like Rose.

I think the evidence they've provided about A-Rod's links to Bosch and Biogen are strong. The fact A-Rod tried to do a 180 on the texts and say they were strictly nutritional is hilarious. A-Rod's lawyer says how would A-Rod have been able to pass 12 random tests? Well the fact Bosch was giving him timeframes and knew biochemically when the drugs would wear off... also I think if they could back up the deaththreats against Bosch via texts and phone logs/monitoring that makes Bosch's case stronger.

I think if A-Rod keeps pushing, then Selig is going to ban him as his last act as Commissioner.

I'm surprised Chipper took that stance and went that route. I can't tell if he's just bashing Bosh or if he's subliminally backing A-Rod. I see no reason for him to go after Bosch if it isn't to back up A-Rod's credibility.

PawPawMaxwell
01-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Ill go back to what I said above about Chipper and throw in the fact that it seemed every game he attended this past year he was on camera with a mug in his hand and sounded half in the bag. Not exactly a good image to project and even more so with 4 young sons to mentor.

Dalyn
01-13-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm surprised Chipper took that stance and went that route. I can't tell if he's just bashing Bosh or if he's subliminally backing A-Rod. I see no reason for him to go after Bosch if it isn't to back up A-Rod's credibility.

He ALSO said - "Have any of the people on the Bosch client list NOT been suspended. Nope. Haven't even contested it. All guilty. This is not a witch hunt!" & "They all didn't try to obstruct the investigation. Only one did. Next?"

Pretty clear he isn't supporting A-Rod.

yeezus
01-13-2014, 12:35 PM
A-Rod will have to take this to court to win. Doubtful the court hears it and agrees with him. The MLB has to have some pretty damning evidence for an arbitator to hear it and rule for 162. A-Rod is screwed and probably done playing.

CrimsonCowboy
01-13-2014, 04:42 PM
He just won't go away. Rodriguez now suing MLB and the MLB Players Association.

CrimsonCowboy
01-13-2014, 04:44 PM
What did you think? Worth the download?

Was a rather interesting piece. A whole lot of scumminess (not a word, but you get my drift) on both sides.

CrimsonCowboy
01-13-2014, 06:39 PM
So, the Chicago Cubs now have a mascot..........................
http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_404h/2010-2019/Wires/Online/2014-01-13/AP/Images/Cubs%20Mascot%20Baseball.JPEG-0dd53.jpg

zitothebrave
01-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Ummm that's creepy.

Orphan Black
01-13-2014, 07:40 PM
My favorite part was them saying that Horowitz was biased because he's a huge baseball fan.

CyYoung31
01-13-2014, 09:25 PM
So, the Chicago Cubs now have a mascot..........................
http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_404h/2010-2019/Wires/Online/2014-01-13/AP/Images/Cubs%20Mascot%20Baseball.JPEG-0dd53.jpg

Da fuq?

mossy
01-13-2014, 09:37 PM
No pants?

Hawk
01-14-2014, 08:51 AM
That baseball bat kind of looks like an XL dildo.

tululush
01-14-2014, 11:45 AM
That cub looks like he's about to cry.

CrimsonCowboy
01-14-2014, 11:50 AM
That cub looks like he's about to cry.

Considering the Cubs history, don't think I could blame him.

mossy
01-14-2014, 02:13 PM
It's racist against bears.

Julio3000
01-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Sadly, this is just a reminder for Cubs fans that the Cubs sucked even when people—and, apparently, pantsless bears—were rocking backwards caps.

jpx7
01-14-2014, 04:18 PM
That baseball bat kind of looks like an XL dildo.

I'm just glad we have an expert on the boards.

jpx7
01-14-2014, 04:19 PM
and, apparently, pantsless bears

It's called pants-free. There was a time when this board used to respect such concepts.

50PoundHead
01-14-2014, 04:22 PM

Don't know which cable yakfest I was watching, but a couple of civil rights attorneys--including a guy from the ACLU--agreed that Rodriguez doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Hawk
01-14-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm just glad we have an expert on the boards.

As the shoe fits ...

FreemanFan
01-14-2014, 11:58 PM

What good is a CBA if MLB can violate it whenever it is convenient? The CBA and JDA state the penalties for PED use, but MLB ignored those guidelines to make an example out of ARod. He should be punished, but only within the limits already in place.

The Chosen One
01-15-2014, 12:37 AM
What good is a CBA if MLB can violate it whenever it is convenient? The CBA and JDA state the penalties for PED use, but MLB ignored those guidelines to make an example out of ARod. He should be punished, but only within the limits already in place.

I think Selig has mentioned that these suspensions were given due to detrimental conduct and not the drug testing.

The other guys involved in Biogenesis accepted suspensions and did not contest them. A-Rod whom apparently is the biggest offender in this case got the biggest suspension. Other guys who got suspended accepted them and the MLBPA did not fight, so I don't see why they'd stand by A-Rod in this as well.

I think A-Rod is lucky he isn't getting the banhammer from Selig. Commissioner whether Selig or his successor have the right to do it, and if they have enough evidence to suspend A-Rod I'd imagine they have enough to ban him but I don't think Selig wants to go that route unless A-Rod really really really go's there.

The Chosen One
01-16-2014, 02:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg1ziRGQhXE#t=23

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19cgaod16qt14jpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

yeezus
01-22-2014, 09:05 AM
The Phillies signed Bobby Abreu.
Amaro is the worst GM in the game.

Hawk
01-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Amaro is the worst GM in the game.

http://i.imgur.com/vxJQ3qM.jpg?1

Heyward
01-22-2014, 09:49 AM
http://i.imgur.com/vxJQ3qM.jpg?1

You're saying Amaro > Wren?

Hopefully you're joking.

Heyward
01-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Yankees sign Tanaka.

7 years, 155 million.

Hawk
01-22-2014, 09:51 AM
You're saying Amaro > Wren?

Hopefully you're joking.

I am. The irony was supposed to be in the picture.

nsacpi
01-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Yankees sign Tanaka.

7 years, 155 million.

I'm glad to see them blow past their luxury tax threshold. The Yankees are actually pushing the edge of their financial envelope. Falling attendance. Falling TV ratings. Even with this signing, I think they are still the third best team in their division behind the Red Sox and Rays. They have significant weaknesses at second, short and third. Old players at right, first and DH. CC and Kuroda showing signs of wear and tear. I predict that one of the big stories in the next few years will be how even a very deep-pocketed team like the Yankees can get caught in a downward spiral that results in significant financial losses.

Having said that I do plan to make my first trip to the new Yankees stadium this season to see McCann. I will be wearing my Braves #16 shirt.

Heyward
01-22-2014, 11:39 AM
I think they'll miss Cano more than the signings made.

Tapate50
01-22-2014, 11:42 AM
A's signed EOF to 2/7 deal

depley
01-22-2014, 11:50 AM
22 million a year? For a pitcher who has never faced a MLB player? I hope he turns into their Kawakami, it would serve them right. Player salaries with these Yanks, Dodgers etc are going to make half the league AAA clubs because they won't be able to compete with the money they have.

depley
01-22-2014, 11:51 AM

Since he won't be ready till probably July it is more like 1.5/7 a good bit too much I would say.

Hawk
01-22-2014, 12:05 PM
It would be interesting to know the approximate financial value that these 'anointed' Japanese players, specifically, bring to MLB. I lived in Japan in 2010-2011 and 'Ichiro mania' was still very much in full swing; huge billboards, commercials, (Mariners) gear in department stores. The Yankees have positive experience in this area with Matsui, Kuroda, Ichiro ... and negative experience with The Fat Toad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideki_Irabu). Tanaka is apparently not Darvish (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20140122/masahiro-tanaka-yankees/) in terms of sex appeal, but you have to wonder if the Yankees aren't willing to take such an enormous financial plunge in large part due to the lucrative Japanese fan-base. It doesn't hurt that Tanaka projects solidly into a MLB rotation, either, but $22MM per season for 7 years plus a $20MM posting fee is just beaucoup money for a team that really doesn't have a great core.

Hawk
01-22-2014, 12:10 PM

Sad to see Eric go, but I find that a tad high for a guy coming off of TJ surgery (that won't be ready until July). I guess that's how Beane gets in the door.

According to Rosenthal, bonuses could make the deal worth $10MM. He also suggests that EOF could close for the Athletics in 2015.

Tapate50
01-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Sad to see Eric go, but I find that a tad high for a guy coming off of TJ surgery (that won't be ready until July). I guess that's how Beane gets in the door.

According to Rosenthal, bonuses could make the deal worth $10MM. He also suggests that EOF could close for the Athletics in 2015.. We were not going to compete with that. Kudos to FW. We lined up some nice lhp guys to fill in on the cheap.

VirginiaBrave
01-22-2014, 01:24 PM
I really don't know to expect from the Braves. The off-season has been disappointing. Thank God Mac went to an AL team so we are not subjected to a repeat of the Glavine situation. Watching him with the Mets was really hard for me. I knew Brian would leave but I never figured him taking a money grab from the Yanks. As far as our team, I don't see a whole lot to get excited about. Uggs and BJ have to rebound and I'm just not sold on Gattis as an everyday player. This off-season we are guilty of what the Nats did last year. We took two steps back, letting Hudson and Mac walk. The funny thing is I am not opposed to either move, but you have to be proactive in shoring the club up with some certainty and all Wren has done to this point is take gambles. If Floyd has a good year, Gattis is what we expect, BJ becomes BJ, and Uggla repeats his first year as a Brave, will be fine. That's an awful lot of ifs.

yeezus
01-22-2014, 03:04 PM
I really don't know to expect from the Braves. The off-season has been disappointing. Thank God Mac went to an AL team so we are not subjected to a repeat of the Glavine situation. Watching him with the Mets was really hard for me. I knew Brian would leave but I never figured him taking a money grab from the Yanks. As far as our team, I don't see a whole lot to get excited about. Uggs and BJ have to rebound and I'm just not sold on Gattis as an everyday player. This off-season we are guilty of what the Nats did last year. We took two steps back, letting Hudson and Mac walk. The funny thing is I am not opposed to either move, but you have to be proactive in shoring the club up with some certainty and all Wren has done to this point is take gambles. If Floyd has a good year, Gattis is what we expect, BJ becomes BJ, and Uggla repeats his first year as a Brave, will be fine. That's an awful lot of ifs.

Meh, then don't watch. Go root for the Cards. We have a lot to be excited about. Very young team with tons of upside.
Can't stand the whining. There weren't a lot of moves to be made.

Hawk
01-22-2014, 03:18 PM
We have a lot to be excited about.

The only excitement about this team is in its uncertainty.

Dalyn
01-22-2014, 03:24 PM

When it comes to pitching, I trust the A's more than any other team. Young is amazing.

Dalyn
01-22-2014, 03:28 PM
I don't see what is wrong with admitting (as a fan) that the team has had a bad off-season (so far). Not a single problem from last year has been addressed. That's potentially problematic.

VirginiaBrave
01-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Meh, then don't watch. Go root for the Cards. We have a lot to be excited about. Very young team with tons of upside.
Can't stand the whining. There weren't a lot of moves to be made.

Relax man...I ain't going nowhere. I stuck in the eighties, I'm sticking now. This time a year ago I was certain the Braves were going to win the East and went on record at Scout and said so. This year we are gonna have to fight to stay in the wc hunt. This team is a second place team with an uneventful season. A couple of bad breaks with injury and its a 4th place team.

cajunrevenge
01-22-2014, 03:59 PM
First, if tou expected much of anything this offseason you set yourself up for dissapointment. Its been documented several times that the braves are already at the payroll limit for 2015. The only question was what they would do with the money left in the 2014 budget.

Second, your buying too much into the offseason championship. If you want big name signings and "sure things" then your always going to be dissapointed and negative nancies are never popular.

Dalyn
01-22-2014, 04:05 PM
First, if tou expected much of anything this offseason you set yourself up for dissapointment. Its been documented several times that the braves are already at the payroll limit for 2015. The only question was what they would do with the money left in the 2014 budget.

Second, your buying too much into the offseason championship. If you want big name signings and "sure things" then your always going to be dissapointed and negative nancies are never popular.

It isn't about big name signings or sure things. It is about fixing issues with the team. Nothing at all wrong with expecting that from the Braves (or any other competitive team).

yeezus
01-22-2014, 04:14 PM
I don't see what is wrong with admitting (as a fan) that the team has had a bad off-season (so far). Not a single problem from last year has been addressed. That's potentially problematic.

I don't think we've had a bad off-season, so I'm not "admitting" anything.
What were our problems last year? It was under-performance and youth. From Uggla, BJ, JUp at times.
It's very reasonable to think we'll have improvements from a large majority of the team. Heyward, JUp, BJ, Simmons, Beachy, Teheran. Freeman and Minor have improved every year at the ML level. Why can't one of Minor or Teheran take the next step to ace status? It's not like they've proven nothing. They're young guys with very good stuff. Wood will probably be an improvement over what Hudson was last year.

I think we made a wise decision to sit tight. We could've given up the farm and lots of dollars for Price. No thanks. Could have traded too much for a guy like Howie Kendrick. No thanks. What else could have been done?

Our biggest issue in the post-season was the fact that no one hit. That includes the guy we lost, who went 0-13. Where were the big areas to address offensively? We weren't replacing BJ - sorry. There weren't many places to go at 2B.

I just don't see where there were obvious moves to be made. This was a very good, very young team last year (youngest opening day lineup in the bigs - probably the same this year) and they won 96 games. Losing McCann and Hudson does not knock us down that much, if at all.

yeezus
01-22-2014, 04:17 PM
It isn't about big name signings or sure things. It is about fixing issues with the team. Nothing at all wrong with expecting that from the Braves (or any other competitive team).

What did you want addressed, and what were your ideas?
Were you willing to sacrifice the future? Those pretty much our only options - sacrifice the future and trade a lot of young, good, cheap pieces for one guy or stay put and let our young, very talented players develop.

nsacpi
01-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Sometimes your best move is the one you don't make. There were some around here demanding Uggla's release. I'm glad that didn't happen. Others were willing to let him go for peanuts. That didn't happen either. Others were more focused on bringing in an established second baseman even if he had a big and risky contract, like Kinsler and Phillips. I'm glad we're going with the internal options instead. It might not work out. I think there is a good chance we make a mid-season move for a second baseman, but believe that trying the internal options first is the right move.

yeezus
01-22-2014, 04:24 PM
I cannot fathom why someone who wants this team to win now and in the future would want Brandon Phillips. He has 4 more years left at way too much money. He's not a good hitter at all.

VirginiaBrave
01-22-2014, 04:54 PM
I don't think we've had a bad off-season, so I'm not "admitting" anything.
What were our problems last year? It was under-performance and youth. From Uggla, BJ, JUp at times.
It's very reasonable to think we'll have improvements from a large majority of the team. Heyward, JUp, BJ, Simmons, Beachy, Teheran. Freeman and Minor have improved every year at the ML level. Why can't one of Minor or Teheran take the next step to ace status? It's not like they've proven nothing. They're young guys with very good stuff. Wood will probably be an improvement over what Hudson was last year.

I think we made a wise decision to sit tight. We could've given up the farm and lots of dollars for Price. No thanks. Could have traded too much for a guy like Howie Kendrick. No thanks. What else could have been done?

Our biggest issue in the post-season was the fact that no one hit. That includes the guy we lost, who went 0-13. Where were the big areas to address offensively? We weren't replacing BJ - sorry. There weren't many places to go at 2B.

I just don't see where there were obvious moves to be made. This was a very good, very young team last year (youngest opening day lineup in the bigs - probably the same this year) and they won 96 games. Losing McCann and Hudson does not knock us down that much, if at all.

You are overestimating the talent level on this team starting with Gattis. The reason we didn't win in the playoffs is no facet of our game performed.

Braves1976
01-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Sometimes your best move is the one you don't make. There were some around here demanding Uggla's release. I'm glad that didn't happen. Others were willing to let him go for peanuts. That didn't happen either. Others were more focused on bringing in an established second baseman even if he had a big and risky contract, like Kinsler and Phillips. I'm glad we're going with the internal options instead. It might not work out. I think there is a good chance we make a mid-season move for a second baseman, but believe that trying the internal options first is the right move.

I am sure they would move Uggla if they could. We've heard on and off all off-season about Wren trying to do so. There just isn't any takers at this point (and I suspect that won't change without Uggla proving he can see and hit again).

Dalyn
01-22-2014, 05:10 PM
I am sure they would move Uggla if they could. We've heard on and off all off-season about Wren trying to do so. There just isn't any takers at this point (and I suspect that won't change without Uggla proving he can see and hit again).

I think the team just needs to change its Uggla pitch a little.

http://www.coldbacon.com/pics/kliban/bkowl.gif

Hawk
01-22-2014, 05:19 PM
@ajcbraves: O'Flaherty said he would've loved to stay w/ #Braves, said they handled it well, made clear all offseason it would be 1-yr offer...
[ http://twitter.com/ajcbraves/status/426116119003283456 ]

@ajcbraves: ... and #Braves told him offer would be on table and he could see what else was out there, they understand would probably be longer offers
[ http://twitter.com/ajcbraves/status/426116258749116416 ]

Braves1976
01-22-2014, 05:25 PM
@ajcbraves: O'Flaherty said he would've loved to stay w/ #Braves, said they handled it well, made clear all offseason it would be 1-yr offer...
[ http://twitter.com/ajcbraves/status/426116119003283456 ]

I hate to see EOF leave, he was as dominate a lefty for us as they come. I am at least thankful that he didn't sign with our rival Nationals. However, it somewhat concerns me that they seem to have a shot at signing Balfour. Hopefully they miss out on signing him too.

nsacpi
01-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Oh yeah, they were trying to. But they weren't willing to just give him away and I give them credit for that.

cajunrevenge
01-22-2014, 06:57 PM

I don't think any gm would have what you consider a good offseason with the resources wren has. That's my problem with it. Expectations should be grounded in reality. Since I doubt you will change your expectations I can now declare the 2015 offseason a failure and the 2016 offseason an disaster.

NinersSBChamps
01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Boston signs Grady Sizemore to a one year deal. I mentioned his name weeks ago as someone we should at least consider. Good move for Boston.

Dalyn
01-22-2014, 07:54 PM
Boston signs Grady Sizemore to a one year deal. I mentioned his name weeks ago as someone we should at least consider. Good move for Boston.

Yep. And he is making less than Schafer.

Hawk
01-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Yep. And he is making less than Schafer.

Base salary, yes, but with incentives he could make $6MM.

Dalyn
01-22-2014, 08:09 PM

Worth it if he actually performs well enough to earn the incentives. I mean, we are paying Gavin Floyd $4MM (+ roster and performance bonuses) for two or three months.

nsacpi
01-22-2014, 08:10 PM

It will be interesting to see if Sizemore makes the Red Sox team. Before he was signed their bench projected to be Ross, Carp, Gomes and Herrera. Remember AL teams typically have a 4 man bench due to the DH. Sizemore is not going to displace Ross or Herrera who are the backup catcher and shortstop. He's not going to displace Gomes who platoons with Nava in left. And he's probably not going to beat out Carp who had a .885 OPS last year.

Some team might be able to pick him up off the waiver wire at the ML minimum at the end of spring training.

bravesnumberone
01-22-2014, 09:02 PM
At this point, we just have to hope that we can stay more healthy than last year, that BJ and Uggla remember how to hit and that our young pitching doesn't freaking disappear in the postseason.

I wouldn't call the offseason really a success or a failure.

Gary82
01-22-2014, 09:07 PM
At this point, we just have to hope that we can stay more healthy than last year, that BJ and Uggla remember how to hit and that our young pitching doesn't freaking disappear in the postseason.

I wouldn't call the offseason really a success or a failure.

It is a failure.

But hey, I'm an optimistic guy. It's only January 22nd.

mossy
01-22-2014, 10:20 PM
We need some games to talk about.

That will prove failure or not.

Given how young this team is, I think it would be unfair to expect too much in 2014.

I expect it to be a satisfying year of baseball either way though.

AUTiger7222
01-23-2014, 02:47 PM
You are overestimating the talent level on this team starting with Gattis. The reason we didn't win in the playoffs is no facet of our game performed.

Gattis and Chris Johnson were the only 2 Braves that did anything offensively in the playoffs. Gattis can give the Braves what McCann has given us the last 2 years.

NinersSBChamps
01-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Santana, Arroyo, and Garza are probably the best remaining starters available. Guesses to their landing spots? And I thought Santana agreed to a deal weeks ago.

Dalyn
01-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Santana, Arroyo, and Garza are probably the best remaining starters available. Guesses to their landing spots? And I thought Santana agreed to a deal weeks ago.

Jimenez is still available, isn't he?

Hawk
01-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Garza had apparently agreed to a deal with the Brewers, but it's on the rocks -- maybe due to issues with his physical (details are scarce).

Was rumored to be 4 yrs. $52MM. Not bad for Milwaukee.

Dalyn
01-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Garza had apparently agreed to a deal with the Brewers, but it's on the rocks -- maybe due to issues with his physical (details are scarce).

Was rumored to be 4 yrs. $52MM. Not bad for Milwaukee.

Pretty good deal. They also got a good deal with Lohse last year.

NinersSBChamps
01-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Yeah Ubaldo and Burnett are both still out there I believe.

buck7580
01-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Pretty sure Burnett has recently said he was going to retire. Guess he could change his mind.

VirginiaBrave
01-25-2014, 02:47 AM
Gattis and Chris Johnson were the only 2 Braves that did anything offensively in the playoffs. Gattis can give the Braves what McCann has given us the last 2 years.

Just not a fan. He's a younger Uggla.

thewupk
01-25-2014, 10:34 AM

I'd be happy with that from the catcher spot. Uggla was really good until he hit his 30s.

NinersSBChamps
01-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Now it appears Garza and Milwaukee are back together again.

Braves1976
01-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Per multiple sources via twitter, AJ Burnett is returning this season and is open to signing outside of Pittsburgh. Further, Burnett would be a good fit for us if he'd accept a one year deal (and I expect that he would). He would give us a solid veteran who should upgrade our rotation. He gets a lot of ground balls too and with Simmons at short he could do even better with us. Plus adding Burnett opens up the possibility of packaging Uggla with another starter to help move him in a trade.

That said, I doubt we go after him after our big signings (Floyd and Garcia). I hope I am wrong though and we still do.

Dalyn
01-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Any legitimate move that keeps Beachy from starting for at least the first half would be a good thing. I would take Burnett for one year, but I still prefer Jimenez or Arroyo.

Knucksie
01-28-2014, 08:33 PM
That's the genius of this board. Somebody sees an update on Twitter. "Burnett open to signing somewhere, besides Pittsburgh." That means the Braves could want him. Then, another pitcher could be packaged...with Uggla. Really gets my hopes up.

NYCBrave
01-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Would love to get Burnett on a 1 year deal, seems like he's almost too perfect of a fit for this team. Not sure what it would take to get him in terms of cost/payroll implications/taking someone's spot, but I'd explore the option.

yeezus
01-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Burnett is definitely worth looking in to. However, I really don't want to bump Wood out of the rotation, I believe he deserves a shot.
Then again, Burnett would not handcuff us long-term and we'd lose nothing. Someone will get hurt during the year giving Wood a rotation spot.

Dalyn
01-29-2014, 10:18 PM
“I’m not surprised that he doesn’t get it, because I don’t get it, either,” the AL exec told the Cincinnati Enquirer. “I guess people are concerned about his age [he turns 37 next month]. But he’s 37 going on 27. He’s got a loose, limber body. He’s never been on the DL. He never misses a start. He doesn’t cost you a draft pick. He’s a tremendous teammate. He’s helped a lot of [young] pitchers on his team. So I don’t understand it. I really don’t.” (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/bronson-arroyo-doesn-t-contract-offer-expresses-frustration-234108969--mlb.html)

http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusmlbexperts/USATSI_6365674.jpg

Starting to think Arroyo is just what our team needs.

Tapate50
01-30-2014, 09:03 AM
“I’m not surprised that he doesn’t get it, because I don’t get it, either,” the AL exec told the Cincinnati Enquirer. “I guess people are concerned about his age [he turns 37 next month]. But he’s 37 going on 27. He’s got a loose, limber body. He’s never been on the DL. He never misses a start. He doesn’t cost you a draft pick. He’s a tremendous teammate. He’s helped a lot of [young] pitchers on his team. So I don’t understand it. I really don’t.” (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/bronson-arroyo-doesn-t-contract-offer-expresses-frustration-234108969--mlb.html)

http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusmlbexperts/USATSI_6365674.jpg

Starting to think Arroyo is just what our team needs.

Doesn't he give up a bunch of Hrs? but i'd take him in our park. Solid. A likely upgrade on Maholms spot and could probably be had on a 2 year deal?

Knucksie
01-30-2014, 01:08 PM
On Hot Stove or one of the gabfests on MLB Network, somebody said that the Dodgers were considering Maholm as 5th starter. Billingsley & Beckett still hurt.

Dalyn
01-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Doesn't he give up a bunch of Hrs? but i'd take him in our park. Solid. A likely upgrade on Maholms spot and could probably be had on a 2 year deal?

A huge upgrade. The guy has averaged around 207 innings per year for a freaking decade. We need innings from the rotation more than anything. And getting away from that park in Cincinnati would help any pitcher in the HR department.

zbhargrove
01-30-2014, 01:48 PM

And a young Uggla was a fantastic hitter...

thewupk
01-30-2014, 06:53 PM
A huge upgrade. The guy has averaged around 207 innings per year for a freaking decade. We need innings from the rotation more than anything. And getting away from that park in Cincinnati would help any pitcher in the HR department.

For his career he has given up 1.28 HR/9 at home and 1.20 HR/9 on the road. The last two years his HR/9 has been higher on the road. He just gives up a lot of homers regardless of where he's pitching. The only real upgrade Arroyo would give this team is that he is going to give you 200 innings. Other then that he's a pretty average pitcher. I understand wanting to limit the innings of Beachy and Wood but they are more talented then Arroyo. And he likely wants more then a 1 year deal and I don't think that would be a good move for the team.